The commoner in the hills...

The defiant sun rays breaking through the cloud cover was what broke the deep slumber of our ice prince. Thomas tossed and turned a bit, sighing heavily into his pillow and enjoying the comforting caress of his linen sheets, when suddenly the alarm of his clock blared through the silent room. Laziness of his limbs almost instantly abandoned him and he went about his morning duties. Emerging from the bathroom which was attached to the bedroom, he tried to remove invisible wrinkles from his navy blue pants and white oxford shirt. Combing his hair back while deliberately leaving a curl of it on his forehead, he nodded in satisfaction and pinned, rather proudly, the golden shinning Headboy badge on his shirt's pocket. Withdrawing his bag from the cushioned armchair, he stood by his window which overlooked the school field.

A bird cried long and loud, groups of children walking hither and tither with their usual chirping. On seeing no familiar face paired with dreadful grey clothing, he shook his head and retired from his room. Outside he was joined by Vivan, who had occupied his neighboring dorm for the last 10 years. Conversation was dull as they walked down the tower, or so it was in the opinion of Thomas. For him the academics were too simple, students predictable and teachers too easily pleased. It was only yesterday when he met Kathy did some unpredictability entered his monotonous life in these hills. Not that he would confess it to anyone, in fact he dared not confess this to himself.

The murmuring began when they reached the school ground. There were bits and pieces of conversation Thomas could not help but overhear.

"She is a new girl", some one was saying.

"And a scholarship student at that, impossible!" Their companion exclaimed.

"She is the first student to ever get a scholarship. Its.." Some boy was saying as he passed by Thomas.

And finally, " I have heard she is very beautiful." The speaker of this statement got an ice glare from Thomas which made him readily shut up his mouth.

"What is this I am hearing?" Thomas asked,annoyed.

"I gather that they are talking about Kathy." Vivan explained as he also turned to look at the other boy.

"I already know that but what about this scholarship. Le Brun College does not hand out such freebies to people."

" Apparently now they do. Dev, the boy from across hall way, well, he knows every gossip on the campus. He told me that our headmaster was visiting some educational seminar in Delhi when he came across Kathy. She is too bright for her age and hence he was so impressed that he offered her a place at this school but since she can't afford it...."

"He offered to pay her fees out of his pocket. Oh, how very generous of him," Thomas huffed in annoyance.

"On the contrary he found someone to sponsor her education", on seeing Thomas' blank face he let out a little chuckle, " I thought you might know."

"And why am I exactly supposed to know  this?" Thomas asked with interest.

"Because that sponsorer is your Uncle." Vivan looked at his friend for some form of reaction but there was none. His frame was rigid, his hands pushed into his pocket and his face emotionless as ever. Such was his display of emotions except for occasional rebuffs and show of annoyance. Vivan shook his head and looked away.

To the knowledge of none, Thomas was born in an exceptionally rich and loving Anglo-Indian family. In 1947 with the independence of India when many Englishmen returned to their country, his ancestors decided to stay. It was not an action borne out of intense love for the land they had spend decades on but rather because their numerous factories were set up in the country and selling it all away seemed unprofitable. Hence with time the Haden family became Anglo-Indian from British and now it's family tree was inclined more towards Indian than Anglo. However, it was safe to assume from Thomas' blue eyes and sharp, angular features that his ancestry ran strong in his blood.