The castle in the hills

Somewhere in the Northern India, hidden in the deep alpine forests of Himalayas, lies the small town of Dahling. The town with it's old post office, a railway station and a meager population of 300 was so inconsequential that the only reason we mention it here was because of the school which stood right next to it. With its large granitic exterior of towering minarets, curtain walls, sprawling grounds which infringed the forest and its even more  brilliant interior with warm large halls, walls covered in silk, intricate floral en-carvings which adorned the rooms  and the school flag hoisted at the very center of the whole establishment, one would mistake this school for a medieval era Castle. It was, as a matter of fact, indeed a mansion inhabited by the Lords of the East India Company when they became little more than traders in the Indian subcontinent. It was perhaps in mid-1700s that Lord Venkor extended his little peaceful cabin into a flourishing castle it is now. However by 20th century his successors had either died or had been reduced to the dreaded poverty. The mansion was put on sale and in 1912 Sir Le Brun, a visiting Frenchmen turned this into an institute for studies reserved for elite class. Since then, great and undoubtedly rich minds have walked these halls. Sons and daughters of businessmen, politicians and rich bureaucrats.

 The halls and walls were once of a castle but its occupants, presently, did not look anything less than prince or princesses themselves. Their school uniform concealed their true riches but when on a weekend, they descended down in the valley of Dahling, dressed in clothes which should be reserved only to the red carpet, did the poor occupants of the valley stared at them in awe. They looked much like a communion of heavenly creatures descending on Earth.

So was the sky high reputation of this property that one day when a rather ordinary girl stepped out of a taxi and looked around (as was expected) in awe, did Thomas, who was currently lounging on a garden bench with a book in his hand, wondered if she had perhaps lost her way. Pushing a strand of hair out of his eye, he stared at the girl in interest. She appeared to be around his age, of a tall stature. With her dark hair shaping around her heart-shaped face and her chocolate brown eyes beaming with excitement, Thomas would have actually called her beautiful. But then again, it was her ordinary clothing which had caught his attention. To top it all, Thomas was so immune to feminine charms that all her beautiful features could all be but dust to him. Having the reputation of the 'ice prince' of the school, he was quite used to females throwing themselves at him and there was nothing which had him running in the opposite direction faster than a desperate female. Hence his lukewarm response to the girl who  had just alighted the taxi was rather justifiable.

"She is beautiful. Who is she?" His friend, Vivan, who was sitting beside him murmured.

"That does not matter. What matters is where did she buy that dredged rag she is wearing. I am afraid she is in a wrong place all together." Thomas mused in a lazy manner which many considered fashionable.

"Well, why don't we go and talk to her then. Perhaps we can help her if she is indeed lost." Vivan suggested.

Thomas, feeling much like he did before writing off a check to a charity, agreed with him. For him helping someone implied that he was naturally better than the subject of his charity and he immensely enjoyed this boost to his ego.

Closing his book he had made a beeline to the girl with Vivan close behind him, did the girl drew out her trunk with an exasperated huff. Thomas had the sneaking suspicion that she had infact come at the right place.

"Hello, madam. How may we help you?" Thomas gave her one of his dazzling smiles which usually had females swooning over him.

The girl, however, looked immensely uncomfortable as she looked around and finally settled her gaze on Thomas.

"Is this Le Brun College?" Her voice was soft and shy. Thomas felt a sudden revulsion towards her, she was what a normal teenage boy would call 'cute' and Thomas did not do cute!

"Yes, it is madam. But", he casted another look at her grey clothing, " I am afraid this is not where you are meant to be."

She raised her eyebrow clearly confused, " What do you mean? I have this letter here which clearly states that I am to report at the college on monday morning. If this is the right address then I am exactly where I am meant to be!" Her voice sounded her irritation which anyone would clearly experience after hours of journey and its tone clearly broke through her 'cute girl' persona.

Thomas gave her a stern expression, he did not like the tone of her voice.

Sensing the silent storm brewing in his friend, Vivan tried to dam it, "Hello, madam. We are so sorry for the misunderstanding. We thought you were a tourist, it's not uncommon for them to venture to this part of the hill for sightseeing." He gave a warm smile which put the girl immediately at ease, " By the way, I'm Vivan. This is my friend, Thomas and you are?"

"Kathy", she gave a smile in return although she could not be readily informal with them. The way they spoke was lordly which was entirely unexpected in 21st century, their backs were stiff as though some one had inserted an iron rod in their vertebral canal and then there was the way this Thomas had looked down on her as though she was dirt under his nose. She felt alien in this place but resolving herself, she put a smile on her face and asked Vivan, " Can you please tell me where the headmaster's office is?"

"Why don't I show you the way?" 

Her heart melted at the sweetness of the boy and she followed him, all the while aware of the curious gaze of Thomas as he walked behind her.

This is how she was lead through the hallways, Vivan who was leading the way followed by Kathy and finally,by  Thomas who dragged her heavy trunk with a sour expression on his face. Vivan had asked him to carry it and to turn down his request would be ungentlemanly, something that Thomas never was or at least not when there were 20 witnesses to his act. Kathy would once in a while give a little exclamation of awe at the high walls supported by pillars, at the bright lights which lined the stone corridors, at the carving of the heavy double doors which lead to the classroom. To Kathy this school appeared like a castle turned into a 5-star hotel. Not that she had ever stepped into one but this looked much like the places from Ireland she had so eagerly watched on TLC. 

"This is beautiful." She finally said as they stopped in front of heavy double doors.

Thomas ruled in the urge to curse as he finally dropped her luggage to the ground and straightened his shirt.

"This is the headmaster's office", Vivan offered a reassuring smile to Kathy as he saw her gulp nervously and gave a resolute knock on the door.

"Come in." A slight masculine voice answered from the other end and thanking both of them profusely she entered. She considered Vivan something very close to a friend but Thomas, she did not know what to exactly make of him.

As the door closed behind her, Thomas took in a deep breath, his face still red and finally said, "So she really is a student, huh?"

"I would presume so, yes." Vivan agreed with a slight smile.

"But how?" Thomas frowned but sadly, his friend was as clueless as him.

Sir Le Brun established an institute for studies reserved for elite class, and then one day a rather ordinary girl changed it's history forever.