31.

Casually updating this at school because hey, why not, i mean i have a free ya know

also, fetus cake to make your eyes sweat

Chapter 31

"Luke, Officer Reynolds is here to speak to you. Are you feeling well enough?" the nurse asked, peeking her head through the door. Luke sat up and gulped, yelling a quick 'yes' before looking down at his hands, each yielding a single tube that was taped down onto his pale skin.

He heard someone pulling a chair and lifted his head to see a familiar guy – it was James.

"Oh, hi James."

James smiled back and took a small notepad out from his pocket. "Nice to see you again. Now, I just have a few quick questions regarding the incident that resulted in your admission. You were stabbed, am I correct?" Luke nodded unsurely. "Who stabbed you?"

"My d-dad."

James nodded and jotted it down. "What was Calum doing at the scene of the stabbing?"

"He'd been told to come out by my dad."

"And why did your dad stab you?"

"He was going to stab Calum but I jumped in front of him." James gave him a confused look. Before he could speak, Luke quickly asked, "He's going to jail already so there doesn't need to be a further court hearing, right?"

"I'm not sure. He is your father after all. If you don't want to press charges then you don't have to but it's likely social services might."

"No..." Luke mumbled under his breath.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just don't want him to get in any more trouble," Luke lied, forcing himself to smile at James.

He nodded. "Understandably. Well, that's all the questions I have. If you do end up wanting to press charges, just pop to the police station when you're well again."

~

The day of the court hearing went smoothly. Luke was permitted to leave the hospital to observe, and thankfully for him, the stabbing incident wasn't mentioned. There were a few journalists present in the room but since it was a case from long ago, there wasn't much news coverage.

Luke's dad, as well as Jessie's dad who had also been part of the plot, were pronounced guilty and two police officers took them away. Afterwards, Luke, Jack and Liz went to the family room to see him for the last time.

"Hi, Liz, Jack, Luke," he said wearily, clasping his wife's hands.

She'd be lying if she said she hadn't missed him. Sure, what he'd done was awful, but he'd done it to protect his family and she admired that about him. "I'll miss you very much," she sniffed, holding back the tears.

"You will still be able to visit me okay? And I promise, the minute I'm out, I'm moving back here."

Jack's breath hitched as he said, "But we'll have to wait fifteen years! T-think of how old we'll be.... Luke will be in his thirties, I'll be almost forty..."

"It can't be helped, Jack. I'm sorry."

Jack buried his head in his father's neck, sobbing silently. Luke on the other hand, didn't know how to feel. He'd let his father go to prison for fifteen years for something he didn't really do. His love for Calum had somehow overridden that.

"Dad, I'm sorry," was all he could say. He looked into those familiar blue eyes and felt his insides liquefy, and there was a growling sensation in the pit of his stomach. "I'm sorry things turned out this way."

Andy shut his eyes and nodded, holding Luke's forearm. "Don't blame yourself. Instead, go and give all the love you didn't receive during my absence to that boy – he looks like he needs it way more than any of us do. I can never forgive myself for even thinking of going there that night to hurt his parents, especially when I knew he was so young."

With tears beginning to prick at his eyes, Luke smiled and acknowledged his father's last words before he was taken away to be locked up.

He'd visit, of course he would. Calum would visit too, with him. Now, all that was on his agenda was to do as his father said and go find Calum.

~

Luke was about to give up, having searched the whole building for any sight of the brunette, but luckily he saw him perched on one of the steps outside.

"Calum!" he called, waving with a weak smile. Calum didn't return the smile and this worried Luke, so much that he picked up a pace. "Calum, is everything okay?"

Calum hesitated. On the outside he looked angry, but inside he was feeling really melancholic. "Why are you still here?" he asked coldly.

"What do you mean... Calum, I'm here for you." Luke sat down next to him and looked into his dark brown eyes that appeared to be darker than usual.

Why? Calum thought. He'd done nothing good for Luke, ever – yet he was still there, despite the fact that his own father had been thrown in jail because of him. He was even considering going back into the courtroom and handing himself over because the guilt was just that strong.

"Well, I guess I'll go then-"

He was prepared to say something mean back to Luke, but ended up grabbing the hem of his shirt and letting out a short sob. "I'm afraid."

Luke's heart swelled, and a lump caught in his throat. "Why are you afraid?"

"I'm afraid that you'll leave and never come back. That you'll hate me forever. That you'll give up on a failure like me, and leave me to rot. I've never known anyone as sweet as you – no one even dared to approach me in the past unless they wanted to fight, so it was strange to me at first why someone as popular as yourself would choose to talk to me. I pushed you away, I didn't want you to get too close – because I was afraid that my past would be revealed and that you'd expose me. And now I'm still afraid, and the only way I seem to be able to get rid of that is if I'm with you, but now I've ruined things and-"

Luke cut him off by leaning in and planting his lips on Calum's, immediately tasting the salty tears that had run down, the ones that Calum hadn't had time to brush away. Whilst their lips were connected, Luke bent down and embraced him in the biggest hug he'd ever given, his own tears adding to the mixture inside their mouths.

After a good few minutes, they pulled away and Luke gazed lovingly into the brown ones he'd fallen in love with long ago.

"Calum, I'm here to stay. I promise. What my father did – it was atrocious, and I'm still in the process of forgiving him. I feel really sick inside when I think of how our families are connected, but I made a promise to my dad that I'll give you the love me and you both missed out on. And I can't do that if we're not together, right?" he said, with a little chuckle at the end.

Calum cried a little harder and nodded, letting Luke's thumbs wipe away the fresh tears that had spilled onto his tanned but slightly red cheeks.

"Thank you Luke."

***

:)

Next chapter is the last one!

Vote+comment for virtual 5sos name tag

Kimmy xx