17.

Chapter 17

Every time something good happened, it would be followed by some catastrophe that caused even more trouble. Were they not fated to be together? Is that what it was? Luke thought about all these things as he stormed off with a tear in his eye – he wasn't sure on where to go but decided that school would probably be a good idea as he was a good student and didn't like playing truant. He'd only taken the day off for Calum anyway, and now he'd gone and ruined that.

"And where might you have been, Mr Hemmings?" Mrs Harkins interrogated when Luke came thrashing through the door of his classroom.

"Sorry... uh my brother had an accident so I had to take him to the hospital." It was the only thing he could think of under pressure but felt rather proud that he'd come up with such a good excuse.

Her eyebrows raised automatically and she let out a small sigh. "Well. Not to worry. And do you know where Calum is? He hasn't been in at all recently and I'm concerned about his school work."

Just the mention of his name brought back vivid memories of that stupidly good kiss. "He's in a bit of trouble at the moment, but he's sorting it out. I think he should be back at school soon."

"Okay – thank you. Don't forget to get some lunch."

But he wasn't hungry at all. He had around twenty minutes of lunchtime left yet couldn't bring himself to eat, especially since he'd eaten all that chocolate already. He caught up with Michael in the corridor who was with two girls at each side, wearing his sunglasses.

"Hey buddy, where you been?"

"Had something to take care of. Ash and Bry around?"

"Yeah, they're in their classroom... why?"

"Don't worry. See you later."

He dashed off to the main block where Ashton's classroom was and arrived at their classroom – a drama classroom with props all over the place. Ashton caught his eye immediately and hurried over as he could see the panic in Luke's expression. "What's wrong Luke? You look really worried."

"I know we don't have long left for lunch. But could we just talk? Can you get Bryana as well?"

~

"That's rough, man. I've never had to deal with this kinda scenario before but wow... let me think what Professor Wiley would do right now..."

As a drama student, Ashton studied many plays and at that very moment he was playing a professor, whilst Bryana was the mistress of a businessman. He'd been this professor for a good year and loved getting into character, as he was doing right now. Luke bit the inside of his cheek impatiently and subconsciously tapped some fingers on the table he was sat on, legs jittering up and down irrepressibly.

"I think the best thing for you to do right now is give him some space to calm down. He's probably very confused himself – and not having parents makes it a lot worse."

Bryana nodded, linking arms with Ashton. "I agree. Let him cool off and when he's ready, you can approach him again."

"But the question is, should I go to his hearing? He didn't want me to but I just... I really want to."

"You should respect his wishes, Luke. Well. Having said that... it wouldn't be a bad idea as such to show him you care enough to actually go to the hearing. I'm not being helpful here am I?"

"Nope."

Bryana stood up straight and exhaled. "Okay. Listen up. You need to go to this hearing. Disguise yourself if you need to. You want to know what's going on in his life, don't you?" He nodded. "There we go. Problem sorted. Go to the hearing and all shall be well."

If only it was as easy as that.

~

In the days leading up to the hearing, Calum decided to go back to the gym, this time more frequently. Mali bought him a membership because she thought it'd take his mind off other things, and give him some time to relax, and did regret it for a while when he started fighting, but gave it back to him after starting at the new school.

He'd been running non-stop for half an hour. The fatigue was unreal – he could feel blisters forming on the pads of his feet – the air he breathed in was no better than the air he breathed out – his muscles ached as the lactic acid built up in them, and yet he would not stop. If he wasn't allowed to cut, then he would make pain another way.

After another fifteen minutes or so, he really didn't feel good. His vision first lost colour, then got smaller and started to blur, and he couldn't think straight. His muscles weakened, his legs gave way, and he fell on to the fast treadmill face first.

A member of staff from the gym ran over upon seeing the crowd that had formed, and grabbed Calum's phone from his pocket. It didn't have a number lock so he got in very quickly and searched for the first person on his speed dial, Luke. "Hello? Hi, Calum's at the gym right now and has had an accident, could you possible head down?"

On the other side, Luke was panicking like mad. After he saw it was Calum calling, he asked to go to the toilet in the middle of English and now he had no idea what to do. He couldn't just leave school, but at the same time he knew he needed to go and help because otherwise, why would they call him? Why not Mali? "I'm on my way. Is he conscious?"

"Not at the moment but we're working on it."

He felt a pang hit his chest like a spear and his feet moved even faster. He was in such a state that he even tripped over his own shoelaces, which were in fact tied properly and tucked away neatly under the tongue of his shoe. People called after him as he ran out of the school gates but that wasn't going to stop him. Although he'd been sent away by an angry Calum a few days ago, he still had strong feelings for him and if he was in trouble, he needed to be with him to help, because that was his goal from the beginning. He'd never forget the words he told himself, the words that eventually formed some kind of chant – a mantra.

As soon as he entered the reception doors he zoomed past the barriers without hesitation, having to jump over the waist-height electric door. A receptionist shouted at him but again, that wasn't enough to stop his urge. He made a sharp left turn and arrived at the gym doors. Dammit. No card to get in. Now why hadn't he listened to his mum when she asked if he wanted to join a gym?

Luckily, a member of staff recognised how desperate he was and let him in. Luke's watering eyes rested on Calum's frail thin body which showed signs of malnutrition – his pale complexion, limp arms, and sweaty forehead. "Calum!"

***

Hey guys! Thanks for reading :)

I'm so sorry that this is late - I was meant to upload this morning but I forgot we had a school event for the whole day, then I spent ages doing homework too :( I only managed to sit down and write like an hour ago but hope it was okay!

Vote/comment for a virtual sprinkle of icing sugar :)

Kimmy xx