6.

Chapter 6

The clean-up wasn't easy, and a teacher found them sneaking into the janitor's cupboard to get disinfectant and mops. He immediately found out what was going on and Luke made the excuse of Calum accidentally scraping his arm against a sharp edge on the door. The teacher would've been an absolute idiot to believe the lie but he actually believed, to Luke's relief.

"Just make sure you put everything back where it belongs. And get that boy into some clean clothes," he tutted, walking back off. Luke stuck his tongue out once the teacher was out of sight and went back to helping Calum who was now sat on the sink top, letting cold water run down his arm. Upon seeing the red lines that had appeared on Calum's arms, Luke felt pain, perhaps more than Calum had experienced. He'd told himself he was going to look after Calum but he'd failed in even stopping him from mutilating his dear arms.

They'd been having so much fun in the practice room; or so Luke had thought. This was going to be a tough journey, but he was do determined that nothing, not even Calum himself, could stop him.

With this new sense of motivation, he finished tidying the area and took Calum back to their classroom where he handed him some new clothes. Although it was just a pair of black jeans and a tank top, Calum couldn't feel more grateful; he stripped down right there and then (Luke didn't let him go back to a toilet just in case something else happened) and Luke took his dirty clothes, stuffing them into a plastic bag and shoving it in his locker.

A couple of girls realised that the new guy was practically naked and went out the classroom to where the lockers were, suddenly falling in love with the muscular, tanned boy. Luke could hear the squeals and began to feel possessive even though Calum wasn't his. He didn't want other girls talking to Calum. He didn't want other girls trying to make him smile.

"Mr Hood, haven't you heard of changing rooms?" Mrs Harkins asked with a smirk whilst she was making phone confiscating rounds.

"Sorry Mrs Harkins," Luke said in Calum's place. "We were outside and got a bit muddy and just wanted to change as soon as possible."

"Well okay... next time, changing rooms, okay?"

Both Calum and Luke nodded and Mrs Harkins left to check the other classrooms. Calum was almost done and zipped up his hoodie to hide the slogan on Luke's tank top, 'you complete mess'. He loved it, don't get him wrong, but it wasn't the message he wanted to say to everyone who walked past. His plain black hoodie said enough.

~

The next day was uneventful; Calum stayed as low-profile as possible, not even entering the canteen at lunch or break. He never had much fat, but the muscle he'd been building up began to lessen and he felt weaker than he ever had. Previously, when he used to fight, he had to go to the gym every day to keep fit and stay strong enough to beat others up. Now, he had no reason to; besides, with all the blood loss he'd experienced, he never even wanted to touch a blade again.

Thursday rolled around, and it was his first time hearing Luke's band play.

"Hi, I'm Luke, this is Michael and he's Ashton," Luke introduced. A few girls shouted, 'we know!' back to him, earning themselves the cutest smile. Luke was nervous that day; he knew he would be performing in front of Calum, and that they were playing an awfully controversial song (for the teachers, anyway). He could only hope that Calum saw their talent. "And today, we're playing Teenagers by My Chemical Romance!"

Gasps filled the room, including one from Calum's mouth. They were going to play that song in assembly? Wow.

"They're gonna clean up your looks with all the lies in the books, to make a citizen out of you. Because they sleep with a gun, and keep an eye on you, son, so they can watch all the things you do." Michael looked at Luke with a massive grin, as he genuinely thought they wouldn't be able to do it on stage. Ashton was having the time of his life on the drums, and Calum watched with amazement.

He really could sing.

He wanted to stay there and listen to him sing forever, because he felt as though all his sins were being lifted from his tainted soul, and it was a great feeling after the heaviness of the past few days. He felt a smile pull at his lips, eventually giving into the moment. Luke noticed this, completely by chance, and stopped singing. The smile disappeared as soon as it had appeared, and now Calum and Luke had their eyes locked on to each other.

"Hey why'd you stop?" a girl hollered.

Luke broke the gaze and shook his head a few times. Michael and Ashton stopped playing. "S-sorry... I just saw something amazing that's all. Should we continue-"

"No, that's quite enough," Mrs Harkins called, standing and taking the stage. "What an... appropriate song for assembly, boys." She then sighed deeply, pushing her glasses up and tucking a stray piece of her auburn hair behind her pierced ear. "Come on, get off the stage, I have announcements." The audience became a sea of complaints, wanting to hear the rest, but once she started with the notices they quietened down. Luke took his place at the front, sitting down on the padded chair next to Michael and Ashton who hi-fived a couple fans. Calum was five rows behind, but could see him clear as day.

Assembly ended and they headed to their next lesson, biology. Unfortunately for Calum, Luke had a lab partner already so he was put in a seat near the back with a dark-haired but blue-eyed girl called Jessie. She smiled at him, having been one of the girls to see him shirtless when he was changing by the lockers. "Hey, I'm Jessie. It's Calum, right?"

"Yep."

"Glad to be working with you. Any good at biology?"

"Nope."

Jessie pouted at his short answers and his empty gaze but continued. "So, how you finding school?"

"It's okay."

"Have a crush on anyone yet?"

Calum paused.

He sort of did, but didn't want to admit it.

The way Luke had sang earlier, and the way he acted when Calum was bleeding mesmerised Calum to the extent that he'd go as far to say he liked him. "Yeah, I do."

"Who is she?"

Calum didn't get the chance to reply, as the biology teacher came in, handing out sheets and explaining the experiment they were doing. He was glad he didn't have to say; he wanted to keep this a secret.

***

Thanks for reading! Hope you can give this a vote/comment :)

Kimmy xx