Milton's Secret part 5

Part 5

Realisation dawned and I swear I could feel my eyes glowing as well as my cheeks.

“ Well then  My Lord, “ I said.  “ You'd better ask me hadn't you ? “

He took hold of my hands  and held them close to his chest.  “ Miss Hale, “ he said;
“ Margaret. Would you do me the honour of accepting my hand in marriage ?
Could you  learn to live with the cycles of the moon and how it affects my life ? “

I couldn't have stopped the smile from bursting across my face if I'd wanted to.
“ Yes  My Lord, “  I said. “ I want to share your life;  and if part of that life includes a black panther who like to have his belly and between his eyes stroked, then so be it. “

The Earl Of Milton smiled at me.  I felt myself melting and at this moment I welcomed the sensation.
“ No more of this formality now, “ he begged.  “ Let me hear my name from your luscious lips. “

My throat felt tight, but I wanted to mark the moment when this man ceased to be my suitor and became my betrothed.

  “ Yes John, “  I  managed  to say at last.   “ I want very much to be your wife. “

His eyes blazed fiercely and I shivered a little at the thought of all the passion that I could sense beneath his aristocratic sang froid.

He cupped my face in his strong hands and guided me forward so he could press that beautiful mouth against mine.
His kisses were not hard; but my heart hammered against my ribs as I felt an animal hunger that he was only just keeping in check.

“ There's something you haven't asked me but I think you ought to know, “ he said winding his tautly muscled arms around me;  and showering me with his warm, amiable smile.

“ Were panthers mate for life.
We're fiercely loyal and protective to those we love and demand equal loyalty in return. “

I snuggled contentedly against him.  “ You've no need to worry for my loyalty, “ I told him.
“ I make a point of only ever making promises I intend to keep. “

He looked as though the pull of the moon really was getting too much to resist after  all this time. I pressed a kiss full of  empathy and fondness to his beautiful mouth.

“ If you need to change, then do it, “ I said.  “ I know all all that I need to for now. “

“ My Margaret, “ he murmured huskily. He brushed my cheek lovingly  with a long, elegant finger and then became a panther again.

I used the lamp to re light my candle, turned the lamp out and then my betrothed and I headed back upstairs.

I opened my room and put the candle inside before going back to bid goodnight to John.
I knelt and  put my arms around his powerful, velvet smooth neck.

“ Goodnight my darling John, “ I said brushing affectionately at his fur.
My panther stood on his hind legs and put his fore legs onto my shoulders. The paws were heavy and warm and the claws were nowhere to be seen or felt.  He purred deeply and
licked my forehead making me giggle again.

“ See you in the morning, “  I said giving him a last stroke between his ears.

I watched him pad silently down the hall towards his room and then closed my own door.

I slipped back into bed.  It had been the strangest and yet loveliest of nights.  I couldn't help thinking that some  benevolent power must have robbed me of sleep earlier tonight; so that my meeting with John could occur.
I snuggled down into bed with a smile on my face and finally succumbed to sleep.

 I went down to breakfast next morning  and found both my parents and John already eating.

I kissed both parents and then  looked at John.  Our secret from the night before flashed like a lightning bolt  between us. 

“ Good morning Miss Hale, “ he greeted me.
“ Good morning My Lord, “ I said dropping him a  curtsey;  “ I trust you slept well ? “
“ Like a cat by the fire thank you  Miss Hale, “ he replied with an impish twinkle in those
blue feline eyes.
“ I hope you did likewise, “  he went on quickly before we could both succumb to inane chuckles at the private jest.
“ I can't think when I've slept better thank you Sir, “  I said.

John was to remain with us until after lunch; so he could get an afternoon train that would
have him in London in ample time to prepare for dinner.
We went to church and then having got back home;  John finally took his chance to ask Papa if he might have a  word in private please.

Both Papa and Mama looked at me and then at each other.  Mama put her arm through mine and suggested loud enough for Papa to hear that we go into the parlour.

Papa came in to us after half an hour  with a beaming smile on his face. 
“ Margaret my dear, “  he said taking hold of my hands;  “ His Lordship has something
he wishes to ask you in my office. “

I  hardly noticed Papa telling Mama in an excited whisper that she was  going to have an earl for a son in law.

My mind was full of the joy of  having a few precious minutes alone with the earl in question.

As soon as the office door closed behind me he had me in his arms and was kissing me.

He crushed my body close against his. His hands  roamed over my back and up to my hair.  I found myself unconsciously mimicking him.

His lips devoured mine. His tongue darted out, teasing and coaxing me to open.
When I did with a soft moan of delight his tongue crept inside to entwine with mine.

I felt light headed and a little delerious.  It was as though  my future husband and I were embracing in three ways all together.

I knew  I was making those kitten like moans frequently and John certainly approved of them.
Eventually he appeared to realise he was appreciating them rather too  much; for he stopped his exquisite amorous assault upon my person.

He looked down at me his eyes glittering feverishly and his breathing a little heavy.

“ May I assume from your most gratifying enthusiasm for my attentions;  that you still wish to be my wife Miss Margaret ? “  he purred.

“ I do indeed My Lord John, “  I answered.  “ Although I think  you appear to delight in being incorrigibly wicked  Sir. “  I tapped a finger on his chin in playful reproof for almost making me laugh in front of my parents that morning.

He smirked roguishly.  “ My Sweet, “ he said.  “ I will endeavour to be the best of husbands to you;  and I'm sure you will soon find that a little benign wickedness between husband and wife can be very stimulating. “
His feline purr  deepened to a predatory growl; that had me tingling in ways that were very new and entirely welcome.

“ I think we ought to go and put your parents out of  their misery now, “  he said pressing a chaste, affectionate kiss to my forehead.
“ I don't wish to put my powers of  honourable self control under any more strain by remaining alone with you for a second longer.“

THE END