Milton's secret Part 2

On Friday I took an inordinate amount of time in getting ready.

Even Mama's keen eyes could find no fault as I presented myself for her inspection.

Papa was very pleased indeed. He gave me one of his rare smiles as he kissed my cheek.

� Earl or not the man's a damn fool if he doesn't offer for you my dear Margaret, � he told me.

The three of us stood outside along with the staff to greet our noble guest. I couldn't stop my insides from flipping over as John Thornton Earl of Milton's long legs stepped down from his carriage.

He shook my father's hand and kissed first my mother's hand then mine; as he replied to our greetings in his smooth, deep baritone. I willed myself not to tremble and my cheeks not to blush as his warm lips met my fingers.

Sadly I did both and he most definitely noticed. I saw a distinct smirk in those far too arresting blue eyes and on that damnably tempting mouth. He kept hold of me for just a fraction of a second longer than was strictly proper. 

My hand fairly burned and it was only with the greatest of effort that I stopped myself from 

snatching it away from him.

The next moment he was a paragon of propriety, offering his arm to Mama as we went indoors.

Dinner thankfully was a relaxed affair. There was no doubt that Milton was an enthralling and gracious dinner guest. 

He truly listened when others were speaking ( even father's anecdotes that Mama and I had heard ad nauseum ); and in his turn was able to make both intelligent and amusing conversation.

I found talking with him both easy and highly enjoyable. He knew exactly when to offer compliments ; and I allowed myself to bask in them when they came my way.

I was sorry that tradition dictated Mama and I should retire to the parlour when the meal was done. 

I would have been more than happy to drink port and continue to chat with my father and his Lordship. 

Mama knew it too and gave my arm a non too gentle tug to get me moving.

After an hour of sitting half heartedly stitching a new baby sampler for my cousin Edith; I was heartily bored and contemplating going up to bed.

I was stalled by the parlour door opening to admit Papa and the Earl who looked to be  

getting on splendidly.

Mama was already on her feet. When she saw that I did not seem in any hurry to follow her to bed; she shook her head with a martyr like sigh at what she saw as my most unladylike behaviour.

Papa tugged off his cravat. He told His Lordship to please feel free to do the same and be comfortable.

When Milton did indeed remove his cravat it was almost more than I could bear.

I saw an expanse of manly throat revealed by the unfastening of his collar studs; and 

strong forearms uncovered as he rolled back his sleeves. 

A lady's breath is already laboured enough when wearing a corset. One more thing to rob her of air she does not need.

Both men noticed that at once that I was looking rather faint. If the Earl knew that he was the cause of this he didn't let it show. 

He responded immediately to papa's suggestion that he open a window for me. Meantime papa summoned a servant to get me some water and mama's vinaigrette.

As soon as I was able to I thanked them both but endeavoured to make light of the incident.

I didn't want to be sent off to bed like some delicate flower. There was far too much I wanted to talk to our guest about.

I ended up going to bed far later than I ever had before.

Even then I knew I would find it hard to sleep. I had felt just the same churning excitement after the balls at which the Earl of Milton had danced with me.

I was thoroughly enjoying his company. He was educated and knowledgeable about the world. 

Thankfully a razor sharp wit saved him from taking himself too seriously.

Saturdays activities showed hint of Mama's far from subtle approach to matchmaking. 

No opportunity was neglected to throw Milton and I into each other's company  

( constantly chaperoned naturally. )

I certainly wasn't about to complain about this; and any worry I might have had that His Lordship resented Mama's methods was soon put from my mind.

He showed every sign of enjoying himself; and I was treated to a display of what even my 

na�ve eyes could spot as expert flirtation.

I felt rather like a bird being toyed with by a sleek black cat. I didn't know whether to feel 

exasperated or jubilant that said very masculine feline was clearly intent upon making a hearty meal of his prey.

I marvelled at the fact that even though we were never left alone for more than a few seconds; he still managed to speak intimately to me.

I was mortified that he would be seen doing this; and that Mama would accuse me of being 

' fast '. 

He quickly set my mind at rest however by pointing out that Lord and Lady Hale would be 

positively longing for a sign that he was actively paying court to their daughter.

� And I do hate to be ambiguous about such matters, � he said in that provoking, 

resonant rumble of his.

TBC