Chapter Fourteen

Master Yates escorted me towards the diner. I stood tall and did my best to control all my emotions, the only problem was... I was a complete mess on the inside. I could feel my heart pounding against my chest, and it didn't seem to matter how many controlled breaths I took, it just wouldn't slow down. Just as we got to the door, Master Yates leaned in and whispered, "You are safe and with family, there is no need to be scared."

I stopped and hoped that he would too. "You're wrong. If I screw up in there, you'll lock me up for a month. What if my father dies in that time?"

He turned and faced me. I could see that he was mulling it over, and for a partial second, I honestly thought that he considered changing his decision. He nodded and admitted, "You are correct, I will send you to Church, but it is for your own safety, as well as our clans. It is my duty to ensure the safety of thousand, and if I must sacrifice only one life... that is what I must do." He slowly reached for my hand and placed it back into the bend of his arm. "We'll walk around the building once. I do not see Kenneth living beyond this month, and I will not release you into society without the guarantee that you are strong enough to protect yourself. You are no longer a secret, it has been announced who and what you are. You're considered a fledgling. That title alone makes you vulnerable to other clans, add that you're ovulating and can give birth without harm... that makes you tempting to border rogues. Basically, we need to ensure that while you're living in other clan territory, you're able to note the signs and prevent tempting those around you. We cannot defend you if we are at fault for not training you."

I listened while Master Yates rambled about their laws. There were three basic rules. Get permission before entering another territory; don't bring attention to myself by breaking any human laws, and basically, what I've always done, which is keep my mouth shut about what I am.

By the time we returned to the front doors, he still hadn't stopped giving examples of those who broke the laws, and how they were punished. He held the door handle and finished his story about a rogue warlock. I didn't my best to stay behind my wall while pretending to hang on his every word. It wasn't hard to figure out that if I broke one of the laws, there were one of two consequences, either death or Church. It all depended on the severity. I just wasn't sure if he liked the sound of his voice or if wanted to make sure that I fully understood him. Either way, I got it; I just didn't know how to tell him that without him thinking that I was being rude.

"You are doing very well, I expected you to lose concentration while I gave all my examples. You did a fine job of staying behind that wall. Let's just hope that you can continue it in there," he stated while pulling the door open.

"You can count on it," I grumbled.

He squeezed my arm and whispered, "I am hoping that you are successful, I admire what you and Kenneth have. It's a lonely world out there April, and you have been most fortunate."

"I know, and that's why I'm not willing to risk losing any of it."

"When you've live a multitude of lifetimes like I have, and can only watch as those you enjoy having around you pass on. You will then understand how alone you really are. With a clan, you have stability and protection, but until you find that special one to share the rest of your life with... no matter how big your clan is, it's still a very lonely world. I am hoping that you pass this test and can go home to Kenneth."

I felt myself nod, but that's all I could do. I knew without a doubt that if I screwed up, he wouldn't give me the chance to say goodbye to my father. I felt him press on the lower part of my back urging me forward. The moment I stepped through the door the volume of the conversations lowered to a slight hush, and when Master Yates stepped in behind me, the whole place fell silent. He must have nodded or somehow acknowledged them, because everyone gave a slight nod towards us, and then proceeded to whisper amongst themselves. I turned and asked, "Where should we sit?"