Chapter Four

My April and I had a terrific weekend. We played cards, walked Kemo, and this is the week that she allows me to keep him. Once a month, April allows me to keep Kemo while she works extra hours or to stay out late to have fun with her friends. She told me of her interest with this Brad character. I asked her how she knew that he was worth dating. She explained how holding his hand and talking with him felt right in many ways. She felt an attraction to him that is more than just physical, and apparently, when he kissed her cheek, she could still feel it long after it happened. She was beaming when she said how much she liked it.

 She questioned me on all aspects of my love for her Mother. She wanted to know how we met, how did I know that she was the one, and when did I ask her to marry me. It was easy for me to share with her how quickly I fell in love with my darling Miranda.

When I thought she was done questioning me, I stood and kissed her goodnight before I started up to my room. "Father," she called out.

When I turned around, she was already standing in front of me. "Yes dear?" I asked. I could see that a question was bursting to break out.

"When is it the right time to tell him what I am? Should I do it right away or after the wedding?"   

I cupped her face and locked eyes with her. “My darling, you do not tell him until a month before the wedding. Then you shuffle through his mind, to make certain that he will accept you. If he doesn’t, then you erase everything that you told him about yourself, and then you break the engagement,” I answered with a stern voice. She didn't like my response, and I'm sure next weekend she will comment on this passage. My goodness, the more I think about it… it may be safer for me to take Kemo away for the weekend, and come back Sunday, once she has calmed down. Ha ha, I hope I made you smile my dear.

Today is Monday; April called me this evening, she was in complete disarray. She said that she needed to change her job and fast. I don't understand what happened. She loves her work, and she had just met a guy she really likes. I need to look into this Charles, I have a feeling that there is more to this story then she is telling me. She said that she went to work early, and by day's end, she knew that she needed a new job. My April never runs from problems, and she is definitely running from something. I asked if it had anything to do with Charles. She just ignored my question and stated, “Father, a new career may be the best decision of my life.”

It's Tuesday evening, I'm sitting outside waiting for my April. She apparently wants to see me, and she needs to write. I told her that I would be more then happy to have her take this book home with her, and that I would be happy to write in it on the weekends. This book, Kemo and I, are the only ones who know the real April, and having the three of us so far away from her cannot be good. She leads a lonely life. 

She did tell me that she went on a date last night and that she really enjoyed her time with him, but she was also confused about something. She said that she needed time and the book, and that's all that she said.

April is now coming down the street. I know this because I have a large dog bouncing around on the porch. My darling daughter… when you read this, know that your Father is always thinking of you, and I will always watch over you, just like your Mother does each and everyday of your life.

**********

I don't know what to think about Charles? Monday morning I arrived at work at six am. Charles was already there, and he did something really nice. He took a prop dining table and set it up perfectly. He had candles and flowers throughout the studio. Breakfast was already on the plates, and when I walked in, he took my briefcase and shoulder bag from me. He never said a word; he just looked deeply in my eyes and took my hand. He guided me to the table and pulled my chair for me. I didn't say anything, at first I was stunned.