Chapter 2

It had been a few months since Y/N first met the trio of Armin, Eren and Mikasa. In that time, she managed to squeeze herself into the group, somehow becoming friends with them. While she and Eren got off on the wrong foot at the start, she managed to get him to warm up to her, even if it was the slightest bit. With that, Mikasa began to warm up to Y/N too, but she knew that the raven haired girl would've wanted to become friends either way. It was a gut feeling.

Since the initial meeting, she would meet up with them every few days. Y/N was able to open up to them about different aspects of her life. They knew she was an orphan whose remaining family joined the Scout Regimine. Technically, it was the truth.

From that conversation, she learned that Eren had a burning desire to join the Scouts when he was old enough. Mikasa had looked down at her lap quietly while Armin looked uneasy. Y/N, on the other hand, smiled softly.

They didn't know that she came from the Underground and had caused harm to numerous people at such a young age. She'd like to keep it that way.

The sun rose high in the sky, the warm glow holding an odd feeling, making Y/N feel some anxiety. Nevertheless, she began to get dressed and put her hair into a braid, just like Aria taught her when she came home that day.

She walked into the main sitting area of the orphanage. Some children were sitting around reading, drawing or talking. The walls and floor were a dark shade of brown wood, the small table in the middle of some chairs was a lighter brown. At one of the chairs sat Aria, who was reading through some papers. Probably something to do with the orphanage as a whole. Y/N walked up to her.

"Aria," she called softly to get her attention. She felt nervous for some reason, as if the question she was about to ask was the end for her. Aria turned to face Y/N.

"Welcome back, Y/N. I didn't think you would be out for so long," Aria greeted with a large smile. She obviously knew the young girl had been up to something during the day. She had hoped it was something good.

"Can you teach me how to braid my hair?" Y/N asked, quickly and quietly. She felt herself tense when she asked the question. Her hands curled into fists and she looked at Aria with pleading eyes.

She wanted to scold herself and to leave. She hated acting like this, like a child. She knew she should've been more mature about the situation, Aria would've helped her either way. A sudden wave of embarrassment flooded over Y/N and she felt the heat creep up her neck to her cheeks.

Pathetic.

However, her anxiety turned to confusion when Aria gasped, her eyes wide and if she looked close enough, Y/N could've seen sparkles in them. Aria quickly restacked her papers into a neat pile before turning back to Y/N.

"Of course!" She beamed with excitement that was contagious, because after a moment, Y/N couldn't help but smile softly as well.

Since then, Y/N was practically stuck to Aria's side when she was in the orphanage. When she was out, she was with Eren, Armin and Mikasa.

Things finally began to look up.

"Aria, I'm heading out!" Y/N called, making a beeline to the main door. She shrugged on her maroon sweater as she went.

"Okay, be safe!" She called back. She had been working on some extra work throughout the day with someone who she explained was a trusted advisor.

Y/N walked past the two, sparing a glance at the old woman sitting with Aria, who seemed to be consulting with her. She seemed to know what she's talking about, judging by Aria's repetitive nods that she gave in response.