Prologue

The backwoods of Kansas. August 14, 2005

The woman emerged from the forest on the back of a brown appaloosa. With the bodies burned and buried, she was headed home. Dinner and a nice hot shower sounded good right about now. She tilted her head left and right, popping her neck. Nothing felt better than solving a case and having a few days off.

Another ten minutes passed as the red head road on. She loved the rolling hills and tall grass of her property. The 40 acres were inherited from her generations of family on her mothers side. Anger flashed through her at the simple thought of her sperm donor. He would never be her father, not that he'd even tried.

They road into the old barn, the horses nickering to each other as she passed. Hoping down, the woman went about her nighttime chores. Removing saddles, feeding them grain, and filling water buckets. As she checked all the locks on the stable doors, the sound of a car could be heard pulling up the long driveway.

Curious, she quickly closed the barn doors and headed up the short walk to the house. Climbing the steps to her wrap around porch, she found a man knocking on the door. He was tall and well muscled, with curly black hair and a five o'clock shadow. His eyes were hidden in the shadows of the night.

"May I help you?" She asked.

The man spun around, shocked to see her outside the house. "You might, my name is John. I was looking for Aiden. Some people said I might find her here." He leaned against the side of the house, crossing one leg over the other.

"Well you found me. Can I ask what brought you here?" Aiden was cautious of the man. No one came to visit her farm unless they had a case for her. This man didn't seem to need her help. 

"Actually. Do you think we can go inside." He nodded towards the front door. She nodded as well. The night air was crisp, the warmth of the fires long gone. Unlocking the door she lead the man inside. Aiden noticed that he easily passed over her hidden demon trap. They walked into the cozy living room, sitting across from each other.

After a moment of silence, Aiden spoke up. "What did you come here for John?" Now that she could see him clearly, something about the man ticked in the back of her mind. She knew him from somewhere.

"First off, I need you to know this isn't easy for me." His fingers tapped nervously against his knee. This was not the same man from outside. "My name is John.. John Winchester. I'm your father."

The woman's face quickly changed from confusion to shock, then settled on pure rage. "Get the hell out of my house." Her voice was low and demanding.

"Aiden listen, please. I didn't... You're mother never told me about you. I had no idea I had a daughter. If I'd known-" He pleaded with her, but Aiden quickly cut him off.

"What? Had you known you would have left your wife? I don't want anything to do with you. Get. Out." She stood, going for the door. He grabbed her hand to still her movements.

"Listen you are in danger. As my daughter people are going to be after you. You need to know the truth. This world is full of monsters and demons alike. It's what killed my wife. My sons and I-"

"Your sons. Of course. Keep the men, spare the women." She scoffed, wanting nothing more than to get him out. "I know all about the demons and monsters in this world. How do you think I became an orphan at 12? You didn't protect me then, I don't want it now." Aiden yanked her hand from his grasp. Heading for the door, she pulled it open. "Take care of your sons, John. If I see you again, I'll kill you and bury you in my back 40. None the wiser."

When he tried to plead with her again, Aiden pulled back her arm and slugged him. John held his nose as it bled into his hand. He swelled with pride, quickly replacing it with sorrow. With once last glance at the short woman who resembled him as much as she did her mom, he left. Knowing he could never see her again.

With a heavy heart, John jumped in his truck and headed back on the road. John had regretted his fight with Sam, but he knew it was for Sam's own good. He knew he'd see Sam again. The boy never could follow orders. But this was different. Never had he know about Aiden, but by chance he had found her. She'd been forced into this life just like her brothers.

John had never wanted any of this for his children. No matter how hard he was on his boys, he always loved them. He loved Aiden as well, even if she would rather see him dead and six feet under. John made a promise to himself right there, on the dirt filled back roads of Kansas, that Dean and Sam would never know about their older sister. It was the best course of action. To keep the Winchester name alive, his children could never meet.

~~

It wasn't hard to track them down. Her brothers weren't as stealthy as they thought. Sam was attending college at Stanford in California. Dean it seemed, was still hunting like his father. Our father, she reminded herself. As much as she hated the man, it was hard to dislike the two brothers she'd never met. And she wouldn't. Aiden knew it was better and safer to watch from a distance.

She kept an eye on the younger boys, never involving herself in the cases they took. Ever since her mother had died, she'd longed for a sibling or another family member to turn to. For sixteen long years Aiden had been alone. The people in town took care of her, but she would always be an orphan, a freak to them. They knew she hunted the things that went bump in the night. All turned a blind eye to it, unless her help was needed.

Now, I have a family.

It had been the one thing she longed for in life. But she couldn't let herself have it. After disowning John as her father, Aiden knew he wouldn't want her going around the boys. She was afraid as well. Dean and Sam may not have had the best upbringing or the best father, but they didn't need to have any more crap thrown at them. Aiden swore to protect her brothers from anything that dared to hurt them. She kept that promise.

When John died, it was hard for her to not go to boys. Aiden knew they wouldn't understand. As much as she blamed her father, she didn't want them to as well.

Over the years Aiden had helped her younger brothers more times than they would ever know. At first it was from a distance, a call here, a hint there. Soon, she began to follow them. From a distance Aiden watched as the boys destroyed their relationship over and over. She wanted nothing more than to knock their heads together and show them how good they had it. Sure, they grew up fast, but they had each other. She had no one. No one that really knew her at least.