Ch. 4

Song: Gotta Get Away by Vista Kicks

"I don't know Sam... I don't think it's a good idea," Bucky tells him. He let us into his place and showed us to the living room. There are beer cans all over and odd vintage collectibles.

"You and I are on the same page," I nod to Bucky but Sam dismisses our comments.

"There are no other options for her," Sam tells Bucky and after a heated discussion, his friend finally gives in.

"I'm only doing this because I'm a good person," Bucky scoffs at Sam before standing up.

"Sure, Buck," Sam laughs and pats him on the back. "Erin, I'll be waiting in the car for you once he shows you where you'll be staying," he says before opening the apartment door and walking out. I shyly smile at Bucky as he points across the hall.

"Here's your room. It's right across from mine so feel free to knock if you need anything. That door is to the only bathroom," he shows me around. "You've seen the living room, and through that doorway is the kitchen. Help yourself to anything here."

"Okay, thank you so much. I'm sorry about all of this," I trail off as I walk into my new room.

"Don't be sorry. It's just a bit unexpected, that's all," he gives me a comforting look before walking back into the living room. I shut the room door, and look around to get a feel for the area. A window with a nice view, a tall dresser, a queen size bed with sheets and blanket already on. Even the window curtains look ancient.

What's up with that?

This is a surprisingly decent-sized room. There's a walk-in closet with hangers already there. For an apartment, this place has quite a homey feel. I remember Sam is waiting for me so I quickly walk out of the room and down the stairs to the parking lot. I spot Sam's vehicle, just where he left it, and hop in the passenger side next to him.

"Where are we going?" I ask, not sure where else he'd need to take me. I'm not worried though, I trust Sarah and she said I can trust Sam so I'll take her word for it. He seems like a genuine person, especially if he's putting in all this effort for me.

"Well, your only belongings are the clothes my sister gave you and some random pocket knife so I figured we'd get you some additions clothes and anything you may need," he informs me as he starts the car and drives off. He'd really do all of this to help me get back on my feet?

"Wow, thank you. It kind of crossed my mind, to be honest. I'm just living in the moment right now," I respond. After a short drive, we pull into the parking lot of the local mall. He gets out of the car and I follow suit. I look around at the many people and I put my head down out of fear of being noticed.

"There's no need for that," he says, noticing what I'm doing. "We are very far away from any place you could have come from."

However, his words don't soothe my worries. I continue following him until we enter a store.

"Here's my card. Don't go too crazy, but if you see anything you like, go ahead and grab it. I'll be two shops down and I'll meet you back out here," he says. What the hell does a plastic card with random numbers and his name on it do?

He immediately walks away and I slowly walk into the store he dropped me off at. Not quite sure where to start, I see some black and khaki cargo pants from the corner of my eye. Not knowing my size, I grab multiple different pairs to try on. I keep walking along and find some hoodies, sweatshirts, tee shirts, and long sleeve shirts. I throw a ton over my arm and call it good. I head over to the dressing rooms and try on my clothes. After finding the right size I leave the rest on a hook outside the door, not sure if I'm supposed to put them back or not. I leave the dressing room and find some undergarments. I grab a handful of underwear, socks, and a few brassieres to take with me. Once I feel that I have grabbed enough clothes to last me, I head over to a "checkout" counter.