1: Arrival

"Hey! Cuz," Michael yells as he hops out of the car. I walk up to the car, startled by Michael's enthusiasm. Michael gives me a big hug and helps pile my luggage in the boot. Michael goes off talking about how awesome the summer is going to be and how big his new house is and how amazing the other lads are. I stare out the window into the blurring oblivion, thinking about what the future might hold. We pull into the driveway, past the towering gates, and walk through the large, deep blue front doors. I drag my large suitcase over the threshold and onto the dark wood floors. A blonde boy is sitting on the couch and immediately gets up when he sees us enter.
"Luke, this is Payson," Michael introduces me. "And, Pay--"
"Luke. So nice to meet you," I cut him off and give Luke a handshake with a slight smile.
"Nice to meet you too," Luke smiles politely.
"Cal and Ash are outside in the pool. C'mon." Michael takes my wrist and leads me out to the backyard where the grey patio set and turquoise pool is. A boy with dark hair is running to jump in while the other boy, who looks a bit like Luke from behind, is in an orange tube with his back to me and Michael. The one boy jumps into the pool and water splashes everywhere. He swims under the boy in the tube and up to the side.
"Calum," he says with a smile as water drips from his hair.
"Payson," I return and turn to the boy in the tube.
"A-A-aahh!" He stutters and slides down in the water through the tube and swims away.
"That's Ashton. He's an idiot," Michael jokes. I nod my head at the strange comment and begin to walk back inside. "Hey! I'm gunna jump in the pool later. Wanna join us?"
"Nah. I'm gunna unpack. You guys go ahead," I reply, stifling a little yawn. The jet lag is getting to me a bit.
"I'm going to go inside too," Ashton says, getting out of the pool, and grabs a towel. The water drips from his hair and the sunset light reflects off his glimmering chest as I stop in my tracks when I catch sight of him. Michael notices me drop my jaw a bit, but I catch myself and quickly make my way up to the guest room. I sling my suitcase on the plush bed and rummage through the empty drawers, setting my clothes in them neatly. My stomach growls for food, but I ignore it and go out on the balcony; another room's balcony is connected to my balcony. I look over the edge and see Luke hopping in the pool with the other two boys. Ashton isn't there and I assume he is inside. I make my way downstairs and rummage through the kitchen. I sit at the empty dining table, munching on a bowl of Froot Loops, when Ashton comes out in a Weekend Warrior tank top and some loose black jeans. He grabs a bowl and pours the remaining Froot Loops in it along with some milk. A loud screech comes from outside and causes me to turn around in alarm. When I turn back around, Ashton has placed himself at the opposite end, munching away at his cereal.
"Sorry about earlier. With the swimming away thing," he laughs nervously.
"Oh! No! That was funny. Michael said you were funny."
"Really? Michael said I was funny?"
"Of course, and you certainly have lived up to that. So far," I point out, slightly shaking a finger at him while holding my spoon. He laughs and the back door opens with three loud, laughing boys entering. Michael smiles at me sweetly and then looks behind my head confused for a second. I turn around to look and see that Ashton has disappeared. Michael and Luke go in the kitchen, Luke hopping on the counter and Calum disappearing around the corner.
"Payson?! You OK," Luke's voice finally reaches my ears.
"Yeah? Sorry," I jump.
"We asked if you already ate, but it looks like Ash already fed you," Luke laughs his wonderful laugh.
"Then you spaced out and we had to yell," Michael explains.
"Oh. Thanks," I space out again, but I quickly pull myself back to reality and set my empty bowl in the sink. Michael takes me by the shoulders and makes me look in his eyes.
"Are you OK?"
"Yeah. I'm good, maybe just tired."
"You do look exhausted. Are you sure you're getting enough sleep. Because, if not, I will have to make you--"
"No, no. I'm good, just jet lag. A good night's sleep should do it," I smiles, trying to avoid conversation, and saunter off to my room. I change into my pony printed pajamas and lie under the covers. The celling suddenly seemed to cause arousing thoughts in my mind and I couldn't go to sleep. I couldn't decide whether to stay here or go out. Even if I went out, where would I go? I shot up and jumped out of bed, deciding to just explore. I looked around for my phone and turned on the torchlight. I crack open the door and shine the bright light out into the hallway. I stepped down the stairs a little bit too fast and slipped a bit before catching myself. As I slipped, my hand hit the wall with a thud, making a loud noise. I make my way downstairs. I grab a jar of Nutella out of the cabinet and a spoon from the drawer.
"Nice jammies," Ashton scared me into dropping the spoon, making a loud clank.
"Thanks," I blush and continue in a whisper-yell. "What are you doing down here?"
"Couldn't sleep either, huh," he asks, coolly.
"No. Now, I was prepared to have a decent and quiet evening, but now I see with you here that that may not be possible," I said smugly, leaning against the counter.
"C'mon. I wanna show you something," he motions for me to follow him as he walks off.
"What is it now?"
"Tour," he says simply and leads me outside. He sits down on the patio chairs and I follow suit. "So this is the patio and there is the pool," he says, jerking his thumb back at the pool.
"This is great and all but," I trailed off as I catch a glimpse of the view. Michael and his friends got to look at this all day and all night: a perfect view of all of LA. I stared and stared until Ashton caught my wrist, snapping me out of my reverie.
"Wanna see another hidden treasure?" I nods and follow him down a few steps and back up another staircase to a small building that was completely dark. He opens the door and flips on the light. It illuminates the deep red room and all the shiny equipment and guitars everywhere. I look around in complete awe. Ashton just walks around me and flops himself on one of the black leather couches.
I notice the drum set in one room and marveled, "Those are your drums! Can I play them?"
"Sure! Do you know how?"
"I've picked up a couple things, but Michael mostly taught me guitar. Despite his pleads, I believe I have no musical talent whatsoever," I laugh, remembering the time Michael tried to get me to play a song for his YouTube channel, insisting I was great.
"I don't believe that is true. Let's give it a try." I sit myself behind the drum set and Ashton stands above me, watching. He shuts the door and closes the blinds so no one will know where we are. I pick up some beats quickly, but soon become frustrated.
"Can you help," I ask sweetly, biting my lip. He tries to show me which drum to hit, but I am kind of disappointed with myself. Maybe if he could help just a bit more. He looks at me to see if I am catching on to the lesson, but then he makes eye contact with me. Ashton finally picks up what I am trying to say and swings his way around me. We share the small stool and Ashton wraps his arms around me to show me how to play a certain beat, overlapping his hands on mine. I smile as Ashton's quiet tone breathes heavily on my neck.