Chapter 12

Celeste stood still as she processed what Allyan was telling her. He had taught her and the other four elementalists these very things. She had thought that she understood what he meant when he told them about the existence of many realms and how they all touch and affect one another, through the weave. Those for whom magic flows easily, are closely attuned to the magical weave around them. With careful training, one could become aware of those points of contact, between worlds and even cross those boundaries, affecting the other realms. Theoretically, it made sense. But to experience it was another matter, entirely.

"When you went to the ruins, you apparently awakened the guardian spirit. So many have sought to do just what you did. I wish you could recall exactly how you did that. Perhaps those memories will resurface in time. Or perhaps the Spirit of Air wishes that to remain a secret." Allyan, paused to contemplate this possibility.

When he mentioned the Spirit of Air, Celeste felt goosebumps across every bit of exposed skin. It was like the air around her was excited. The Spirit of Air...she...yes it was a she, had whispered something in Celeste's ear. "I offer you my gift, but it comes with a price."

+++

"I have passed your tests." Celeste remembered saying those words, yet it seemed so long ago.

"You have simply proven that you are capable of bearing the burden of my gift. Many have made it this far, but none have paid my price." Her voice was soft and breathy. Celeste remembered how it felt like she was surrounded by that voice, layers upon layers of voices echoing around her. It was soothing yet strangely thrilling. She could feel her feet leaving the ground as the air lifted her up.

"What could I possibly offer you, in return for the mastery of air?" Her skin tingled with a touch of electrical energy, the result of the friction of air moving against air at high speeds. She knew that this 'Spirit' could kill her, with ease. But she didn't feel afraid. Her fascination with the way that air moved and affected the world was what propelled her down the path of the Air Elementalist. Her passion for Air magic was what had brought her here. Even if she did not succeed in gaining the gift of the Spirit of Air, Celeste could rejoice in the fact that she had met the very source of all air magic.

"It has been a long time, since I have known the joy of living as you do. I sense the thrill of life pulsing through you, even as you hover at the brink of death by my hand. Share this joy with me and I will direct the element of air and all of it's servants to obey and protect you." A faint figure came into view in front of Celeste. She was incorporeal with a softly glowing yellow center. Her shape was roughly humanoid and feminine. Visible currents of air swirled wildly about her, sparkling with electrical energy. Her beauty was beyond explanation. A now familiar knot settled inside Celeste as she looked upon this being that seemed divine to her.

Celeste thought on this price and just what it was. How could she share the joy of life with this elemental divinity? Would it require she give her life? When she came here, she had been prepared to die. The very reason that Allyan had brought her and the others here, was in hope of finding a way to save their dying realm.

" I will give you my life, if that is what you wish. I simply ask that you save my realm from it's demise." Celeste relaxed her body and mind, ready for whatever She was going to do.

A sound like wind chimes reached her ears and she realized that the Spirit was laughing. "No, child. While your offer is truly noble and admirable, if you were dead, I would not be able to share in the joy of life with you. I ask that you grant me some of your memories. Each one, is a life's worth of experiences all bundled together. Life grants me purpose. Memories are life. Whenever I feel my purpose waning, I will take a small part of your memories, so that I may soar again."