"I have. You're not responsible for that, are you?"

"Of course not. We couldn't use the program even if we wanted to. We don't have it."

"What are you talking about?"

"I took a quick check on the flash drive—it's empty. And another one of mine is missing since the day I last saw you and your family. The program must be on this one somewhere out there. "

"What? Wait . . . who gave the flash drive to you . . . your mother I mean? And told you to keep it safe?"

I knew the answer. There was only one.

"Niska."

. . . . .

Mattie had suggested the place we first met, which wasn't too far from us. I arrived before she did. I was still thinking about whether it was good to put her into all this. It was my family—it didn't have anything to do with the Hawkins. But could I say that? Hadn't we dragged them in a while ago by hiding in their house, expecting them to put themselves into danger to help us? Moreover, Mattie had quite an impressive head-cracking knowledge for a teenage girl. She could be of use for us. And it was nice having someone around who was . . . normal. At least more normal than two conscious synths and a guy with a brain that was partly synthetic.

The door opened and a brunette girl came in.

"Mattie. Good to see you."

She smiled.

"Is your family alright?" I asked.

She nodded. "And yours?"

"Mia and Max will come with us. We've developed an idea on how to get Fred back. I rely on your help with that. When we've got him, we will find Niska."

"Alright. Where do we start?"

"Maxie and Mia are waiting outside." We went to the blue car parked a little further away.

"Did you steal it?" she asked.

"We borrowed it," I corrected, opening the door. Mia was driving and Max sat on the passenger seat, so we entered the back of the car.

"Hi Mattie," said Mia. "How is your family?"

"Good. Sophie's missing you."

"I miss her too." Mia smiled warmly and started the car.

"Do your parents know you're with us?" Max asked.

"Yeah, they're cool with it."

I raised my eyebrows in doubt, but didn't say anything.

Fifteen minutes later we reached the cathedral. We went straight down to the basement. There was hardly enough light to see your hand in front of your face.

"I'll go and look for a torch or something," Max said and Mia followed him. Mattie and I were alone in silence and darkness.

I cleared my throat. "So how is your head-cracking going along?"

"Well," her voice sounded as if she shrugged to it. "I tried some things on the synth in school, but that was just kid stuff and my teacher didn't like me doing it, so I gave it up."

"So there's just school stuff left? Must be boring."

"And what exactly have you been doing in the last time, Leo? Any exciting stuff you want to tell me about?" She sounded angry. "Come on I'm dying to hear about your adventures."

Just when I was about to tell her that there was no need for getting moody, I saw a flame blazing somewhere ahead of us. Then Max called me. "Leo!"

"What's wrong?"

"Fred. He's not here."

I run over to him, as fast as it was possible under these circumstances. He was right. The cabinet was empty.

"Someone must have found him, probably Hobb or . . . someone who recycled him. Maybe they found out that he's different! They'll do investigations on him and we can't get him out! We don't know where he is!"

"Leo, calm down. We will find a way to get him back."

"But how, Maxie? We need to find Niska and stop her before she does anything stupid!"

"Then we care about that first and deal with Fred later."

"But who knows what they're doing to him!"

"Max is right, Leo," Mia tossed in. "Fred would want us to do it that way."

I hesitated. "Okay, then . . . then we shouldn't waste any more time here. Let's bring Mattie home and then—"

"Bring me home?" Mattie interrupted.

"I think that's best."

I saw a spark of sadness in her eyes—probably just my imagination—, then she moved her chin up. "Okay. If you don't need my help."

"I don't think so."

"Leo, can I talk to you for a second?" Mia's question was more of an order. I followed her outside.

"Why did you do that?"

"What?"

"Tell her to go home."

I shrugged. "Because we don't need her."

"You know we do. She is good at all the head-cracking stuff, she'll be a great help for us."

Her words offended me. "There's nothing she can do that I can't."

"So you could have gotten me back without her help?" Mia was the only one I knew able to put someone in their place in a gentle, yet firm way.

I swallowed. "Well. . ." She was right, I had to admit it.

"Why do you treat her like this? Hasn't she been helping you from the start?"

I thought about it. Mattie had been helping me indeed and without ever wanting any recognition. I was the one who was being moody, not her. I was behaving worse than Niska would. It was a wonder I hadn't driven her away by now. "So what are you suggesting?"

"Apologize. And ask her to come with us."

"You won't let me skip the apology, will you?"

"No."

I sighed, giving in. It was time to show some of the manners Mia had been teaching me over the years. "Okay. I'll apologize."