Thirty Eight

Alice's mouth was dry, so very dry. Her head was pounding and as she raised her right arm to touch it, she could feel that it was wrapped in bandages. Slowly she peeled her eyes open, seeing that she was in a hospital room, tubes protruding from her arms and hands. Why was she here again? She felt so very confused right now.

She tried to a adjust her position on the bed, a searing pain shooting through her left shoulder, bringing tears to her eyes and causing a loud grunt to escape her lips. Suddenly a body was standing at the side of her bed, the familiar face of Dr Spencer Reid.

"Don't try to move Ally, you've been shot; do you remember?"

A nurse bustled into the room and started checking the vital signs on the machines next to the bed as Alice struggled to speak.

Shot? She'd been.... shot?

"Sweetie, are you in pain?" the nurse asked her softly.

So much pain. Alice nodded watching the nurse depress a button on the machine. Moments later she felt a numbness a lowly overtaking her body and mind just as the events that had put her here came flooding back.

"She's ruined everything. And now she gets to go off and live her life whilst we go to jail ? We were preparing for the future. Do you all not realise this? Do you know what's going to happen in the years to come?"

"Rebecca, let her go. We've lost too much today already. Let her go, now." Lewis commanded and Alice felt her old friends grip on her reluctantly release itself. Rebecca shoved her forward and she quickly moved on the tarmac to meet Spencer who had come forward, halfway between his team and Lewis and Rebecca, as he'd tried to convince Rebecca to hand Alice over to the FBI. The rest of his team had their weapons still trained on the pair, watching and waiting for any sign of further trouble.

Alice made it to Spencer and fell into his arms, clinging to him. Just as they were about to start the walk back to the rest of his team, Alice heard Rebecca mutter something under her breath.

"No. This isn't fair, she needs to pay."

Alice spun around just in time to see Becca raise her gun again, pointing it not at her but at Spencer. In what felt like slow motion, the trigger was released just as Alice heard another gun at the opposite end of the tarmac going off.

She shoved hard into Spencer who's gaze was still on his team, pushing him out of the way as an unimaginable pain tore through her shoulder and she started to fall.

The last thing she saw before her head hit the ground hard, was Rebecca Olson also falling.

...

When Alice came to again, she felt slightly less confused. She was in hospital, she'd been injured. But she needed to know what happened after she'd been shot. Blinking a few times, she moved her head slightly looking around the room. Spencer Reid was still in the room with her, hunched in the corner, leaning over the table that the nurses would have used to fill out their paperwork.

She cleared her throat "Spencer?"

The profiler glanced up and seeing that she was awake, put down his papers and walked over, sitting in the chair at the side of the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her quietly.

"Like I've been shot. Not that I knew what being shot felt like before now, but this definitely feels like I've been shot. Spencer, what happened?" she winced slightly at the pain in her shoulder and Spencer glanced up towards the call button above her bed.

"No, please don't. It hurts but it's okay. And whatever pain meds they're pumping into me are clearly enough to tranquillise a horse. I need to know, please tell me."