"Alice, I need you to come with me. Duty calls." he poked his head into Abby's room, she slept in the main house rather than the dormitories that housed the other children. Of course she did, she was special. Her room was between Lewis's and Alice's. Alice was tucking her into bed when Eric interrupted them.

"What? No one told me." Ally met Eric's gaze, scowling at him.

"A decision was made at the meeting this evening. You weren't there, but it's time. I need you to come with me."

Alice hadn't even known there was a meeting tonight, it wasn't part of the routine. She looked over to Abby who was snuggling into her comforter.

"Eric can't it wait? I'm busy."

Marnie strode around his body, pushing into the room and sitting on the end of the small bed. She patted Alice's hand.

"You go, sweet pea. I'll finish here. And remember, you're strong. This will be your job."

Ally blinked a few times, accepting that there was no way out of this and very slowly following Eric out of the house and down past the herb garden.

When they entered the hut, there was only Lewis and Oliver there. And a body on the floor, tied up with a sack over the head. It was barely breathing but whoever it was, was still alive. Just. Alice tried to mentally run through the list of residents who'd been missing over the past weeks, months even. There were only two that had been taken to the infirmary who hadn't returned yet. Katie and Michael. Katie was a 16 year old girl, she'd come to the compound with her parents when she was six. And Michael had joined after Alice and Rebecca had. Neither had been seen for a while. Alice studied the body, it was clearly female, gaunt arms with open sores covering them, and sallow skin. But she could make out the curve of breasts and hips underneath the clothing.

"Katie... " she whispered, her breath shaking.

"We thought this would be easier if you couldn't see her. She's beyond our help, Oliver had diagnosed her a while ago as being HIV positive, but now it's progressed. She must have come to us that way. Her parents have already been reprimanded for inflicting such a sickly human upon this group, God only knows what could have happened if she'd infected one of us."

Hearing the disdain and disgust in Lewis's voice made Alice feel sick.

Oliver spoke "Her symptoms started to a few years ago, but we didn't know what it was. And then we had complaints from a blood buyer...." he trailed off as Lewis shot him a look.

Blood buyer?

"Her time has come Alice, she's barely alive as it is. Pneumonia has infected her body, her immune system obliterated by the HIV. Her time is here and so is yours." Lewis held out the same gun that he'd presented to her over a year ago and she gingerly took it.

Katie's body began to tremble on the floor, jerking slightly.

"Think of it as putting her out of her misery. She's in pain, a lot of discomfort. Even conventional medicine wouldn't be able to treat her now, she's too far gone. If you don't do this, she'll continue to suffer."

Alice gulped, looking at the girl who she used to groom the horses with, the girl who was so quiet and shy and would turn red if anyone complimented her. She WAS suffering. And Lewis and Oliver had made sure to leave it long enough so that she wouldn't survive either way, knowing that the guilt of Katie's suffering would force Alice's hand.

Tears leaking down her face, she held out the gun, her finger over the trigger.

Her arm started to shake, barely holding it straight as she squinted trying to make sure she would get a head shot, the quickest and most painless way out for poor Katie.

"I.... I can't.... " she whispered, her words quivering.

"Yes Alice, you can." Lewis was calm and commanding, moving to stand next to her.

"No... Look.... I can't." she could barely grip the gun she was shaking that much. Lewis stepped closer and placed his hand over hers, steadying her; his finger covering hers on the trigger.

"Ally, you're a leader. This will be your job. You will lead and you will make these decisions. It's the only way the group will survive."

Alice had stopped believing this months ago, there were too many contradictions and there was no way any of it could be real. She'd been sucked in, sucked into to a group full of people who had accepted this man's delusions as she once had. And now she being used to kill someone.

"On three Alice."

She closed her eyes.

"One."

She took a deep breath, her eyes screwed shut, feeling his finger forcing hers backwards.

"Two"

He squeezed her hand, drawing her finger all the way back, the gun firing once as a sob burst through Alice's chest.

"Three. "