Chapter 8: We're Just a Cliché with a Twist

The rest of the day dragged on, what seemed like several eternities locked into a short matter of hours. I was scared to face Gee after what I'd done, and simply decided to leave. I couldn't go home, I just decided to go and sit on 'Our Branch' for a few hours, and once it hit 4:00 I left, knowing school would now be over. I couldn't risk seeing Gee, not just yet.

In retrospect, I knew there was nothing I wanted more, I simply couldn't bring myself to look into their eyes. So, realising I could now return home without risking interrogation by my mom, I did.

Upon my arrival, she still wasn't particularly pleased. She'd received a call at work about my misbehaviour, and then another later to inform her that I hadn't gone to detention. Fuck. I vaguely explained the situation, and although she still wasn't content, she let it slide.

Two careless hours passed in what seemed like a number of seconds, simply wasting away.

Pondering the events of today, my mind wandered to Gee and what I'd done. Apologising was my only option at this point, and as scared as I was, I had to do it now.

I pulled out my phone, quickly typing a text to Gee, reading, "Hey there, Gee. Where abouts are you? Need to talk. xofrnk". It only took about a minute for them to reply, but my heart raced at a thousand miles per beat, seconds merging into lifetimes. My head span, or at least it felt that way.

"Forest."

No name or kisses, just a simple, one word reply. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel like shit, but I digress; her feelings are considerably more important than my own. They should be my main priority at this moment.

I didn't take long for me to reach the area, but in a way, I suppose I took my time. I spend my walk ruminating us and what I'd say when I arrived, but now I'm here, my mind has fallen blank.

There she sits, as beautiful as ever, yet somehow with her head tilted towards the ground I can tell that their glow has been replaced with a dim, melancholy aura, and that I am quite possibly the cause of such an occurrence.

Sighing, I seat myself next to her quivering form, my heart jumping into my throat and making it difficult to form any words, as if it's blocking the path between my thoughts and my lips.

"Frankie," their voice cracks at the lone mention of my name, and I open my arms for them. Accepting, they wrap themselves around me, pulling me impossibly closer. I close my eyes, resting my head upon hers protectively as I hold on with just as much feeling, "I'm here now, Princess."

The name slipped from my tongue effortlessly and without permission, but it seemed right. I wanted them to feel like a princess. She deserves so much more than this, but, typically, she fell more unlucky than I did lucky.

It was only when she moved to sit up once again that I noticed the mark vitiating their cheek. Involuntarily, an audible gasp slipped between my lips. I'd heard it, and I knew she had too.

"What happened to your face?" I should've known better than to ask, but curiosity and concern was gripping at me, daring to be voiced. Gee turned away then, denying everything, "Nothing happened, I'm okay." It was a coping mechanism, one I'd both heard and used countless times before, and still it seemed just as much a lie as any other.

Looking them in the eye, I spoke the phrase I'd silently wished to hear my entire life.

"I know you're not, though."

I think it was something Gee had wanted to hear, too. We all need someone to care for us, don't we? Or maybe, it's just overly convenient to have someone that understands, which I'm almost certain is a concept that we all long to become reality, and it's sad that it isn't always something we're gifted with.

It was obvious that I'd struck some kind of nerve within her at that point, because in that split second, I'd succeeded in shattering her walls once again. Unintentionally, of course, I'd made her cry, but maybe causing the tears to resurface would bring about the confessions she'd locked away to try and protect herself, the very same ones I plan on listening to and helping with.

Because... That's what friends do, right?

My arm was still hooked around their shoulders, and I caressed small circles in a way I could only helped comforted her, but at the very least, I had tried. "Who did this to you, Gee?" This time, my voice was much softer, with a warmer tone to it.

"It was my dad," I shouldn't have been surprised at this point, but I was. After everything I'd been told, I still hadn't internally accepted that their family couldn't accept them.

It broke me too.

Deep down, I was aware that it was partially my own doing. I knew I had to do something, and at this point, my options were indeed rather limited, but I spoke the very first words that came to mind. They were ones I knew I wouldn't regret asking, and all in all, I was glad I had.

"Stay with me tonight, please?"

My only issue was how the words came across, but she didn't seem at all fazed by what I'd actually asked, but, instead, was much more focussed on what her parents would think.

"Look, Gee, I care about you so fucking much, and I want you to be safe. You can't go back there tonight, please don't go back. We'll deal with the consequences tomorrow, but I think you should give them time to calm down. Please come with me?" I was practically pleading at this point, and after some speculation, Gee stood up.

She held out her hand to me, offering it like one of those gifts you're not exactly certain if someone will like, but it seems fitting to give to them.

The uncertainty seemed to vanish the moment I took it, and with my sweaty palm against theirs, we began walking back to my house.

Really, we're just a cliché with a twist.