Chapter Five: Victory

Dedicated to wereandvampgurl who encouraged me to soldier on despite the haters. Thank you for accepting that hug.

A sharp impact sent Tory hurtling forward, crashing into the waves. She sputtered and gagged as the salty water intruded her nasal passages and mouth. Her attacker seized the moment of vulnerability, delivering a swift, sharp kick to her rib cage.

Tory let out a muffled cry as hot tears of pain clouded her vision. Another blow came almost instantly, striking her already bruised ribs. Sharp, white hot flames of pain raced through her.

"Ahh!"

"You filthy-kick-Celtic-kick kick-bitch!"

Tory tried to move-to crawl away, to reach for her staff but her assailant was relentless, delivering blow after blow. Tory felt a pressure in her side and was sure that he had broken some ribs. Victoria made rolled on her side to stare up into strange dark gold eyes.

He was handsome, yes, but all appeal to him and his pretty face went right out the door since he seemed intent to beat her death. He stared down at her with the oddest expression. Surprise, yes, Tory recognized the surprise, but there was . . . recognition. And fear.

"No-!" He gasped as he stumbled back, losing his footing and falling into the sea.

Even though her entire body protested with shrieks of pain, Tory forced herself to her feet. Her hand touched something smooth and cylinder-her spear! Gripping it tightly, tears stringed along her eyes, she forced her beaten and unwilling body to feet, standing unsteadily but determined against the ways.

With every last ounce of strength she possessed, Tory struck her attacker, wielding the spear like a baseball bat, knocking him soundly across the face. He cried out-more surprise than any other emotion, clasping a hand to his face. To Tory's surprised satisfaction, blood dripped from the spot she had struck him.

With great effort, Tory managed to remain standing as she glared down at the man. Between labored breaths and mind numbing pain Victoria managed one word;

"Leave."

The man stared up at her, bronzed skin fish belly white with fear. Tory felt a wave of dizziness grip her. She fought against the nauseating tilt of the world under her feet, keeping her eyes trained on the man at the feet.

"Run!" she shrieked, lashing out with the spear, the sharp head pointed out towards him.

It seemed to be the shock he needed to spring into action. He dodged the blow, jumped to his feet, running as if the devil himself were after him.

"Retreat!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. "It's sorcery! Retreat!"

Roman soldiers paused mid-slaughter, watching as the red caped man ran out of sight. Uneasy fear washed over their faces, glancing from their comrades to their enemies. The Celts looked about, taking note of their enemy's folly. They let out a thunderous war cry that shook the hills and made the waves bow in felty.

The most amazing, beautiful thing happened.

They ran.

All of them. Hundreds of roman soldiers turned on their heels and raced towards the hills. The Celts watched as they fled, mesmerized by the scene.

Tory stood gaping, disbelieving. They were running. She was safe. Victoria turned to see Mr. Perfect's twin. He looked awed, as though he didn't quite believe what his eyes were seeing. As though he sensed her eyes on him, he turned his gaze meeting hers. The awed expression deepened to . . . to wonder.

The world tilted once again beneath her feet and Tory didn't-couldn't-fight the gravitational pull that sent her collapsing in an exhausted heap on the beach.

£*€**¥**€*£

Brenhin saw her collapse and formidable fear gripped him. He tore through the bodies of his celebrating men to make his way to her. The adrenalin in his blood made him move faster than ever before. He reached her as she hit the water, falling to his knees, and gathering her in his arms.

"Girl? Girl?! Answer me, dammit!" He shouted, shaking her thin shoulders.

She inhaled a sharp breath of pain, her eyes opening for a second. "Ow." she whimpered.

Brenhin grinned. "You're alive-you insane, girl!"

He pressed his lips against her forehead, hysteric laughter gripping him as he held her close.

"Don't . . . call me . . . that," she labored. "I . . . have a . . . name . . . ."

The pain gripped her again, overwhelming her and sending her into unconsciousness. Brenhin, held her close sending a thousand prayers of thanks to the gods.

He looked up to see his tribesmen, shouting, celebrating the battles end. And it was all because of her.

She did all this. This . . . little slip of a girl made an entire army turn tail and flee into the hills. She turned the tides of battle and caused this . . . this . . . victory.

I have a name!

He recalled back to that moment, how angry she had been when he had called her after his dead wife.

Coira? My name's Tory. Victoria. Say it with me; Vic-tor-ia. Not Coira.

Victoria.

He recalled the Roman bard had spoken tales of their deities. He had spoken on one occasion of a winged goddess who embodied victory.

He had called her Victoria.

He looked down at the small, frail looking girl who had a heart of a lion. She had faced down trained soldiers and brought them to their knees. She had sent one of Rome's most afeared generals running for the hills.

If that wasn't godly, Brenhin didn't know what was.

He looked down at her, tightening his arms around her as he stood, holding her close against him.

Goddess or no, he would protect her. Whether or not she was Coira come back to him, he couldn't stand to lose her again.

Never again.

___________AuthorsNote____________

Hi guys! I apologize for the delay. I had it almost done and ready to upload when, of course, Wattpad decided it wanted to glitch and delete all that I had written. Offdystsorsitsia. And then there was the plagiarizing fiasco(she hasn't contacted me again guess she's too embarrassed at being WRONG and RUDE).

So, a very lovely commenter, she knows who she is, called Tory 'badass'. Is she? I wanted to take a shy and underestimated girl and make her strong.

I would have never have gotten this done if not for my gods 30 seconds to Mars. Mostly 'This War' on replay but all their songs give me chills.

Okay, I have been a bad writer. No updates in weeks. Nary a message to my followers. It's all twitter, tumblr and Instagram's fault, okay? It's like a siren's song pulling me back when I should be writing.

I so sorry :(

Plz follow, comment and vote. Hugs and kisses more updates soon!