SPARE ME

- - -

Tap, tap, tap. Tap.

Tap, tap.

I stand, tapping my fingers on the roof of my car.

Currently, I am waiting for my best friend, Brandy, at an almost empty parking lot near her school in Hensville. The city is around three hours away from my city. We arranged two days ago to meet up and hang out since it had been a month when we last seen each other. Now is the early summer morning, and a good amount of sunlight is prickling my skin. Looking down at my black leather watch, I sigh. She is a great and fun friend, but she can be very forgetful. At the moment, she is an hour late. I dial her number once again, this time, she finally picks up.

"Brandy," I greet her while poking the holes of my ripped jeans.

"What's up, Lou?" Her energetic voice comes to my hearing.

I roll my eyes and run my fingers through my dark long bob hair, "did you happen to have any chance to forget something?"

"Hmm," I hear the sound of things falling and Brandy swearing under her breath. "Wait, let me check—"

"I'm at the parking lot, waiting for you," I say, cutting her off.

"Louane! Oh my, I'm so sorry! I totally forgot about texting you that I can't go! My mom asked me to stay home and take care of Matt!" She pleads, "sorry, Lou! How can I make up to you?"

"You owe me one of those extra large New York style milkshakes."

"Deal," she laughs, "sorry again."

"It's fine." I hang up. It's ok, Louane, at least you get a free milkshake, a huge one, to be exact. I take off my sunglasses and walk to my car door, thinking about heading home.

"I've never seen you around."

Spinning around abruptly, I find the source of the playful voice. A guy around my age is standing in front of me and wearing a white t-shirt and navy chino shorts. He is about 6 feet tall, and his eyes are brown like his slightly messy bed hair. He has his hands folded across his chest while he is smirking at me.

The guy and I lock eyes as I pause, "uh, I don't think you have."

"New to town?"

"No, I was going to meet a friend." I frown lightly.

He surveys me curiously, "does your friend go to Hensville High?"

What's with all these questions? I nod while fiddling my keys with my fingers, "her name is Brandy. You know her?"

"No, but I do go to the same school." He actually does look like one of those attractive yet arrogant boys in a typical high school. He grabs my wrist and leads me away from the car.

I have no idea what is going on, but his touch isn't making me uncomfortable at all.

I think I like it. What?

"What are you doing?" I raise my eyebrows while holding my purse with my free hand tightly.

"Obviously, I am in the middle of the process to take you out."

"No, you're not! I—I have plans!" I fight lamely. Take me out?

"Yeah, yeah, your friend just bailed on you." He continues walking and finally stops in front a black Volkswagen, "get in." He holds the door for me. My heart is beating rapidly while I struggle to break away.

"I don't think—" Oh my goodness is he kidnapping me?

"Get in."

Okay, I admit to myself that he's hot, but he's also a jerk. It seems like I don't have a choice, and there is no way that I can fight over this guy. I have a stuffy feeling in my chest, a feeling I get whenever I am nervous.