27; Bad dates, new discoverings, and awkward paintings

Start from the beginning

Avery leans her chin on her fists, thinking. "Hmm, this is tricky. Brittany's a tough one. I can't believe she won't take you back though. Niall told me she really liked you."

I shrug. "Gutting, right?"

"Maybe you should just move on, Zayn," she says, a little pityingly. "I mean, she obviously has. What more is there you can do?"

I try and restrain myself from telling her that I was over Brittany and I ages ago, but I play along with my act and sigh, looking down at my feet. "I-It's just so hard," I choke.

Avery rushes to me, wrapping an arm around me. "Oh, Zayn! I know! But it'll get better, I promise you."

I sniff, pretending to hold back tears, and look up at her. "So, what do you suggest I do? To get over her, I mean."

Avery nibbles on her lip. "Well, I know you don't want to be in a relationship-"

"Does Niall just tell you everything?" I cut in, a little pissed. That's the last time I tell him anything in confidence.

"But," Avery continues, ignoring me. "I think it'll be good for you. How about I set you up with someone?"

My eyes widen. "Uh, wait, what?"

She leaps of the bed, clapping her hands in excitement. "Yes! That's a great idea! It's the perfect thing to take your mind off an ex, going out and finding a new person."

I stand up, seriously freaking out about how serious Avery is about this. My miserable acting is long gone. "Avery, hang on a sec-"

She turns to me, eyes wild. "I know the perfect girl. Her name's Katie and you two will have so much in common!"

"I am not going on a blind date," I tell her sternly.

"Oh, it won't be! You'll double with Niall and I. God, this is so exciting!"

"Avery."

"Where are we gonna go? We need to go somewhere nice. We should try get out of school, but-"

"Avery."

"I need to tell Katie!"

"Avery, please."

She turns to me, quietening down. "Yeah?"

I hold out my hands. "I'm okay! Look, totally fine. Brittany who? I don't need a date."

She smacks me lightly on the arm. "Oh, I see right through you, Zayn," she winks. "It's okay, I'm not judging. Katie's lovely, you'll like her."

I groan. There has to be some way to get out of this. Just as I'm about to speak again, Niall walks through the door and Avery pounces on him, spewing up the news.