t w e n t y - f o u r

The weeks that followed the loss of our baby, were the toughest. Mostly because there was nothing to be expecting. Cameron had laid off of hunting for the time being as well. My dad, and Alex thought it would be best if he took time off with his last outburst. Cameron did his best to make the best of our time together though, and I was thankful.

"Hey sweetcheeks." Cameron said. He stepped into the living room, and took a seat next to me on the couch. I smiled at him, the same smile I'd given him the past 2 weeks, and he frowned.

"I just need time Cameron. I'm sorry." I said knowing what he was thinking. He put his arm around my shoulder, and kissed my temple.

"I know."

•••

Alex and my dad had came in late one night. My dad carried him in, half beaten up himself. Cameron ran to grab Alex from him to help him to his feet.

"Alex. Hey." He said slapping the side of Alex's face.
Alex roused but stayed drowsy, as Cameron tried his best to keep him awake.

"What happened?" Cameron growled. His protective brother side was coming out. I rarely seen it anymore.

"Cam, it was a shapeshifter. I turned his back, for one second." My dad said staring at Alex who was bleeding onto Cameron. 

"YOU TURNED YOUR BACK ON HIM? HE RELIED ON YOU TOM." Cameron yelled back. I flinched at his yelling. I would've never been able to yell at him like that, and I think had it not been Cameron's brother, he wouldn't have allowed it.

"Cameron", my dad spoke quietly.

"No. Just go. Just fucking go."

"Cam."

"If I have to see or hear you for one more second, I'll make you look like him, but ten times worse. Don't test me, Tom."

My dad looked at Alex, then wiped his face. He went to speak again, but instead turned around and walked into his room.

"Cameron.. It wasn't his fault." I said trying to defend him. Alex lay asleep in Cameron's arms.

"Just get me some rags." He ordered. I did as he said, and returned with rags, and a few towels.

"Don't you think you should take him to the hospital?" I asked him looking at the gashes on his legs and arms.

"No. Look under the cabinet in the bathroom and bring me the medical kit." He demanded. I did again, as he said and brought it to him. He opened it up, pulling out alcohol, and a stitching kit.

"You're not going to... Are you?" I asked looking at him confused. He continued working, pouring alcohol over his gashes. He carefully placed the thread into a needle and begin to stitch.

"We can't take him to the hospital." Cameron said. "They would want to know what happened."

I sat quietly, and took Cameron's place holding Alex's head in my lap, as Cameron worked. He started with his head, stitching up the small cut above his eye, and then worked his way down.

"Where did you learn to do this?" I asked him.

"Your father." He said coughing. Not once did his eyes leave what he was doing, and I was amused at how focused and concentrated he was.