e l e v e n

Having Alex around had helped us out with Calex a lot. He had moved back home with us, since it was summer time, that way he could help. It gave Cameron and me a chance to finish up last minute wedding details, for the wedding Saturday. We had just picked out calex's dress for it, and almost everything was perfect.

Cameron sat across from me on the couch. His face looked gloomy. He stared down at his phone, without even flinching when I had taken my seat across from him.

"Cam you alright?" I asked worried. He finished what he was doing and locked his phone.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He replied rubbing his face. He seemed exhausted, but not a tired exhaust, like a mental exhaust. 

"What's wrong Cameron?" I asked again hoping that he'd give in. He let out a sigh, and his eyes met mine.

"I was just thinking about the wedding, how our family and friends will be there, and I know my mom wasn't perfect, but she won't be there." He said not releasing his stare.

"If it makes you feel any better, neither will mine." I said my voice trailing off. "But your dad will be there, and your brother."

He gave me a weak smile. I wish he'd be more grateful sometimes. I didn't have either parent coming, nor my crazy sister, that id rather not mention. The only family I had coming was Cameron's family, yet he still felt like it would be no one there for him.

"Look cam, atleast you have family coming." I said in a rude tone. I hadn't meant for it to come out that way, it just had.

"What do you mean?" He asked raising his eyebrows.

"Cameron no one in my family, will be there." I said trying to catch my breath. The thought made me feel as if I was being left alone.

He released my eyes, and looked at his hands as if he knew he shouldn't have said anything. "I'm sorry Mack."

"Don't be." I said in a low satisfied tone. "It doesn't matter, we're getting married in 2 days and then you'll be all the family I need."

A smile spread across his face as he thought of his own little family. I thought about Sierra, and wondered if she'd still show. I knew she probably wouldn't, but something inside of me prayed she would, not just for Cameron's sake but for calex's.

The phone rang, and Cameron answered with his phone talk voice. "Yes this is he", he said clearly.
He covered his mouth, and his eyes wandered the floor. "Are you absolutely sure?"

I couldn't make out The voice on the other end, but I knew it must be a serious call judging by the look on Cameron's face. "Yes, I understand." Cameron said almost choking on his own words.

"Cameron what's wrong?" I asked, as he put the phone down. He shook his head, and hung it low.
"Cameron." I demanded.

"She's dead Mack. He killed her." Cameron said confirming my worst nightmare. I didn't have to ask. I knew he meant Sierra. I rushed over to him, and wrapped my arms around his small body, and let him let himself go.

Alex who had heard all of the commotion, had emerged from the play room with Calex. He slowly made his way towards the emotional mess.

"What happened?" He asked innocently, Calex in his arms. She clenched the little elephant Cameron had bought for her two or three days ago. Her other hand gripped Alex's t-shirt.

I wrapped my hand around Cameron's neck pulling him into me closer. "She's gone Alex. He found her."

Alex also knew what was being spoken of. Not knowing what to do, he looked at Calex, and pulled her close to him hugging her. None of us moved momentarily, unknowing of what to do next. Better yet, how did we tell Calex that her mommy wasn't coming back?

I looked at Alex who seemed to be struggling to hold himself together. I let go of Cameron kissing his temple, then took Calex from Alex. "Be with him Alex, you both need each other right now." I said tears still in my eyes. Alex nodded, and embraced Cameron into a hug, one I knew they both needed.

"Aunt Mack, whats wrong?" Calex asked frightened. I rubbed her head, and reassured her that I was alright.
I took her into my bedroom, and sat down.

"Calex, your mommy, she went to be wth God and the Angels." I managed to get out. I tried putting it in the simplest of words for her small little mind. I knew of course that right now, she wouldn't understand, but someday she'd be grateful that i had been somewhat honest with her.

"She's not coming back?" She asked me, her hand squeezing her elephant tighter than ever.

"No sweetheart", I said. "She's not." She wrapped her little arms around my neck, and cried. I felt her tiny sobs, as she struggled to catch her breath. I had somehow thought that maybe she did think more complexly. Maybe she had been aware of everything around her, and I felt sorry that she was.

"I want my mommy to come home." She cried. But this time, I couldn't call Sierra to pick her up. I couldn't take her home to Sierra, where she'd pick her up and ask her how her time with uncle cam and aunt Mack was. I couldn't beg Sierra to let her stay one more time. There was no more.

"I know." I said softly. "I know." Cameron must've heard Calex. He crept into the room, his eyes puffy and red. He swept her out of my arms and held her tightly shushing her.

"I know you're upset, and hurt. But I promise you, everything will be alright." He said his hand cradling her head as she looked at him.

But as much as I wanted to believe Cameron's words, I knew they wouldn't be for a while. Sierra and Brent were gone. Her ex- crazy killer boyfriend was out there somewhere. And her daughter had been left behind to somehow put herself back together after being abandoned. She was too young to deserve this.

I went to the living room, watching a helpless Alex, struggle to catch his breath as well. I hugged him tighter than ever hoping that this too would help him.
I tried to tell him the same thing Cameron had told Calex, but it wasn't as easy. Lying to a young adult was way harder than lying to a little toddler. The adult would know the truth just as Alex did, which was why I couldn't tell him everything would be alright. Because it wouldn't be.