o n e

"Where were you?" I asked Cameron, slightly raising my voice. "You've disappeared 3 times this week.. Going God knows where, with God knows who."

He had left home after midnight each night, without telling me where he was, who he was with, or where he was going. He would return home beat up, out of it, delusional.

"Mack." He pleaded. His eye was black, his lip busted. He sat down on the bed, barely able to keep himself upright.

"No Cameron where have you been?" I begged to know.

"You wouldn't believe me." He shook his head.

I nodded. "Alright then. Fine." I crossed my arms, and shook my head in disappointment. He was my boyfriend, my best friend. How could I not believe or trust him? After all I had trusted him with my life when he "kidnapped" me and took me to New York. I had trusted him when things got hard. I had trusted him to make the decisions that I was unable to make. So again, why would I not believe him? How after all the trust I had in him, how could he not trust in me?

I turned to walk out of the room, when I felt him grab my arm. "Mack, I know what you think it is... But I promise you it's not that." He said.

"Then what? What is it Cameron? You leave for hours, even days at a time, then come home beat up, and delusional. So tell me what it really is?" I said in anger.

Cameron closed his eyes tight, and licked his lip, the blood that had once been fresh, now dried up.

"I want to keep you safe Mackenzie. And to keep you safe means not telling you.. Please trust me." He pleaded.

He pulled me in close, and looked into my eyes. His brown eyes that I had fell in love with, were glassy and wet, I assumed with tears. Full of innocence, and they pleaded for me to trust in them.

"Alright." I said in agreement.

He leaned in and softly pecked my lips. I closed my eyes trying to take in all of him, as much of him as I could. He rested his chin on the top of my head, after kissing it.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too."

Things had changed. We had all been close before Cameron started his "wanderings". Now Alex barely even spoke to Cameron, mainly because Cameron had been so distant. I on the other hand did try my best to keep in touch with the once happy and normal family. I talked to Alex on occasion, and Sierra once or twice a week. Her daughter Calex, was doing well, and had started school now, a straight A student. Cameron had grown a pretty tight bond with Calex, although over the past few months, it had seemed to wither away.

"Cameron, you should invite Calex over for dinner.. I'm sure she misses you." I said hoping he would call. He gave me a weak smile, and nodded.

"Hey Sierra." He said. "Yes I know it's been a while but I'd love to have Calex over for dinner."

I heard mumbling and then Cameron spoke again. "I know Sierra but I really wanna see her."

After a battle on the phone, Sierra finally gave in. "Okay thank you. See you when you get here." He said before hanging up.

"So?" I said hoping for good news.

"They'll be here in 10."

"Good I'm gonna order pizza, sound good?" I asked. Cameron gave me a thumbs up, and threw his debit card at me. After I ordered the pizza, I made my way to him where he was sitting on the couch. He seemed exhausted.
I slowly straddled him, and cupped his face as I kissed his lips lightly. I felt him smile into the kiss, causing me to smile.

"What?" I said grinning.

"Nothing", he replied,"I've just missed you."

The truth was I had missed him too. I had missed his laugh, his touch, the taste of his lips, his corny jokes. His "wanderings" kept the real him away from me, as if he'd been kidnapped. I lightly kissed him again. Soon it turned into a heated make out session, and I had forgotten Calex was coming. Without knocking Sierra entered the room, with Calex holding her hand. Cameron and I startled, stopped like 2 Deer in the headlights.

"Haven't you ever heard of this thing called... Oh I don't know... KNOCKING?" Cameron yelled. He leaned back and let out a sigh as I hopped over beside him to the other side of the couch.

Sierra didn't speak. "Calex you go see your uncle cam now, and enjoy it. Doesn't seem like you'll get to stay long."

"Oh come on Sierra." His attitude flaring.

"Id rather my daughter not be in the middle of you two having sex, or whatever it is you were doing." She stated, as if it were a crime for me to kiss him. I felt offended.

"It's my apartment and I'll do whatever the Hell I please." He began to yell.

"Mommy.." Calex piped, grabbing onto her hand tightly.

Cameron and Sierra began yelling at each other, uncontrollably as Calex stood in the middle of it. I grabbed her hand and led her into our room, where I hugged her tightly. Flashbacks came to me, of when I was growing up. My broken home had scarred me, and yelling was terrifying as a young child. "Aunt Mack?" She asked. "Why do they always have to yell?" She laid her head into my lap and began to cry.

I stroked her hair, and I kissed her forehead. "I don't know sweetie. I don't know."

Sierra popped her head into the door, and snapped her finger. "Let's go Calex. We're leaving now."

Calex, wide eyed, and scared stared up at me as if she were searching for an answer on what to do. I stroked her hair lightly and kissed her forehead.

"Mommy, I don't wanna go. I want to stay here with aunt Mack." Calex pleaded.

"Calex Michelle. Now." Sierras stern voice caused Calex to cry again.

"Sierra... Please. Don't take this out on her. Let her stay. Please." My eyes met hers and searched for a way to get through. Sierra's eyes fell soft, and she nodded.

"Alright." She said ,"behave okay? I love you." Sierra kissed calex's head, then turned to walk out. "And as for you", she said pointing to Cameron,"you better enjoy it because I promise you, she won't be back."

Sierra turned her back and walked out the door slamming it. "Damn it." Cameron yelled as he slung a pillow across the coffee table.

"Cam.." I whispered softly. He paced back and forth, tracing things, searching for something to break.

"Uncle cam.." Calex whispered. She went to his leg, and squeezed his leg tight. He went limp, his fists fell to his side, and his face softened.

"Hey munchkin." He said as he swept her up into his arms. For a moment the two stood in the living room hugging. You would've thought he was comforting her, but I knew he needed her comfort for than she needed his.