Night 301+ - Seed

They had made camp in the prison yard, and from afar Daryl kept watch. He eyed the little campfire where everyone had gathered. Everyone except for Rick, that is. He had walked the fences three times now, checking to make sure they were secure, when in reality he was avoiding Lori. She was due any time now, and of course the drama of who the actual father was was causing some friction between the two. 

Daryl had put his money on Shane. 

"Here ya go." Carol slid a napkin of food onto the overturned bus, and then joined Daryl on watch. "You've got to keep your strength up."

It was a measly meal for providing strength. "Little Shane must be hungry."

"Be nice." Carol swatted his arm. She grunted and the rubbed her shoulder.

"You alright?" The two of them had grown to be close. Teetering on the edge of friendship, but there were things he still wouldn't discuss with anyone. 

"I'm fine. That rifle has a killer kickback, though."

"Here." Daryl held his hand out, offering to give her a massage.

"Oh, you don't have to-" She began to protest.

"Nah, c'mon I did this for Gabry all the time." Talking about her still wasn't something he'd openly do, but now it was almost as if she'd never been real in the first place. He gave Carol's shoulder a squeeze.

"Dang," Carol said as he worked the muscle, "this Gabry girl must have had it nice."

Daryl smiled. He'd never thought he was anything special to Gabry, because she was his better half. It being seen the other way around, well, that made him think otherwise. "She did more for me than I could ever do for her."

"Oh yeah?" Carol murmured, wanting to hear. "How's that?"

"She was just...there." He shrugged.

"I'm sure it was mutual." She credited him.

"I know I put her through hell sometimes. I'm sure I'd given her more than one reason leave me. It's hard to believe that a girl like her loved a guy like me." Daryl chuckled dryly. 

He had been arrested over something he couldn't even remember, other than the fact that it was stupid. Sure, he had made her cry before, but it was nothing like this: She was sobbing so hard that she couldn't speak, yet hardly breath. Richard had posted bail for him, and filled out whatever paperwork while she just stood there with her hand covering her mouth, trying to stop herself from crying out loud. 

The front door of the county jail hadn't closed before she turned around and slapped him across the face. He was stunned. She then proceeded to punch him in the arm, beat his chest, and push him away. She was crying so hard now that she was hyperventilating.

"Gabry." He reached out for her arm, but she snatched it away. 

"Don't! How-" She swallowed back a sob, "how could you?"

He couldn't remember his explanation for whatever it was he had done. She wouldn't let him explain as she struck him across the face again. 

"Gabry, that's enough!" Richard had stepped in. "If you're not going to talk to him, I'm taking you home." 

She stuck her finger in Daryl's face. "You need to grow the fuck up." That was his first time hearing her cuss. He looked into her red-rimmed eyes, full of rage and anger and disappointment, and he was sorry. More sorry than he would ever be able to convince her.