Inconsequential

I was glad that the party was finally over. It was three and a half hours of pure hell. But of course only to me. After a while, Jacob and his crew loosened up and practically needed to be reminded every five minutes to leave some food for the humans. I laughed when I saw Mike Newman's face when Jacob walked through the door.

I thought I had suffered through the insanity well, until Alice reprimanded me that I wasn't mingling enough. She separated me from Edward and dragged me around the room, greeting everyone. I was going to have to figure out a way to pay her back without her knowing, that meant Jake or one of the wolves would have to be involved. I'll enjoy it.

Once the party wound down, Jasper decided that since the wolves were there, we should go ahead and practice how to attack newborns.

"Why? We took down that Laurent leech just fine without any lessons." Jacob said. I shuddered at the memory.

"Yes but newborn vampires are slightly different. They aren't logical creatures so they won't know how to strategize, and they'll try to go for a direct kill."

Jasper spent the next three hours demonstrating with each of us how to effectively take care of frontal attacks from newborns. Jacob kept poking me in my ribs every time that I held my breath, which of course was usually when Alice was mock fighting with Jasper. Jacob and Seth stayed in their human form, while Quil and Embry transformed into wolves. Jacob explained to me the dynamic of the wolf pack and that when the pack have phased into the wolves, the thoughts and memories of one, is shared with everyone, while in wolf form. So even though the others weren't there, they were still watching firsthand how to handle the army.

"You know, I would really love it if I could know what you're thinking." Edward said as he was driving me to Charlie's. Despite the fact that he was driving, he turned his head and kept his eyes on me. It wasn't until that moment that I hadn't even realized that I was looking glum. I guess that would bother Mr.-I-can't-take-it-when-I-can't-read-your-thoughts.

I opened my mind up for him to see my thoughts. There were so many things that were available for him to see; between thinking about leaving my father, again or just staying in Forks a little while longer. And how could I forget about the impending wedding? But the one thing that was most rampant in my mind was this coming Saturday. I couldn't help but worry about my family as they came together again to fight yet another enemy that I brought upon them. And now on top of that, one of their friends was fighting on the other side.

"Bella, I can't believe that you're still worry about the inconsequential. Victoria will be dealt with. And Irina made her choice." That last part was what worried me the most. "And as far as you leaving, weren't you planning on staying till it's time to go to college?"

"Yeah, but that involves leaving. It just seems that all I do is leave Charlie. I just got him in my life, I don't want to leave him. And every time I left, it was always for his safety, I get that, but eventually we'll have to leave."

"Well you're father is already preparing himself for you leaving Bella. Between college, and your impending wedding, as you so think of it as," He paused to turn back at me, and I wished I could still blush. "Well, let's just say he knew it was going to happen eventually."

I tried letting his words appease me, but along with breathing deeply, it still wasn't helping. I was beginning to think that I needed Jasper to stay with me twenty-four/seven. Edward chuckled and I remembered about my shield which I promptly shut back up.

"Take that!" I said jokingly. He smiled when he tried to read my mind again. "You'll be up later?" I asked when I realized we were sitting in front of Charlie's house.

"Where else would I be?" I looked into his darkening eyes.

"Oh I don't know, maybe hunting?" His eyes were almost black. "Are you starving yourself?"