[03]

THE FOREST SURROUNDING her was dark, an effect caused by the night falling upon the various creatures scattered throughout the woods. She looked around, her eyes catching sight of the blonde vampire that stood at the base of the tree she was situated in.

Allison knew that she shouldn't be here; her every being was telling her to go home. To run, and not look back. And still, here she sat, awaiting her doom.

The Cullens had repeatedly advised her against this, and some had even gone as far as trying to forcefully stop her, but to no avail. She would not back down, even if she wanted to, and eventually the family discovered this.

The Protector knew that she was an easy target for Victoria—after all, she was the one the redhead wanted—but she didn't let that stop her. Instead, the girl gathered her weapons, and perched herself high in a tree. Even though Allison wanted to attack Victoria head on, she agreed to stay off the ground, unless she had to get down.

The wolves had tipped her off a day prior, informing her that Victoria was hanging around again. Try as they might, the pack could not catch the redhead. She was far too fast for them, even if they were one of the fastest creatures alive. Allison supposed that maybe that was Victoria's gift; evading.

Soon after Allison's chat with the Quileutes, Alice had a vision of the redhead. The small vampire predicted that Victoria should be passing through the treaty-line soon, and so that was why the Cullens, the wolves, and the Protector were currently situated in the middle of the woods.

Since the treaty forced the Cullens to stay on their own land, Allison had offered to hunt the redhead from the middle of the separation line. That way, she could help the Cullens out, but still assist the wolves. She was only slightly worried about who would help her.

So there she sat, her bow drawn and her arrow pulled tight as her toes began to ache from her crouch, and her eyes darted furiously around the night. Allison was grateful for her enhanced vision; especially now that she needed to see in the dark.

The night was silent, the only sound being the rustling of bushes in the wind. Allison could hear herself breathing, and she knew that the creatures around her could as well. The girl felt a sudden wave of calm shatter her nerves, and she sent a grateful look to the man below her.

The silence was broken by the sound of pounding footsteps, and Allison clenched her jaw and looked wildly toward the sound. She rose slightly on her toes, her hand tightening around her bow's string in anticipation. Her heart began beating quickly, and she denied herself the urge to jump from the tree and join in on the chase.

She saw blurred flashes as the Cullens took off, running away from her and toward the redhead. From behind her, she could hear the wolves leading Victoria toward her.

A flash of red alerted Allison to her presence, and she released her arrow when she had a clear shot. The woman dodged it, and the tree behind her set on fire. Allison cursed, pulling another arrow from her quiver and lining up the shot.

The Protector lost sight of Victoria, but she managed to spot various white blurs speeding in one direction. Shortly after, she heard Jasper's angered snarl. Allison jumped from the tree at the sound, and froze when her boots sank into the mud around her.

She pulled her feet from the mud, holding her bow in front of her as she began sprinting toward the sound. Allison halted suddenly, remembering that Victoria would be able to smell her.

With that thought in mind, Allison began running toward the treaty line instead. She released a breath, using her feet to push herself off of the cliff that separated the river, and onto the other side. The girl hit the ground hard, and she rolled quickly to her feet.