PROLOGUE

THE HUMMING OF power rushed through her hands, before finding her fingertips. She narrowed her eyes, exhaling as she tried to focus the power between her palms. A frustrated groan escaped her pink lips as the power merely stayed in her fingertips.

"Try again."

She glanced toward her instructor, inhaling deeply as she nodded. Her eyes closed on her own accord, and she leaned her head back slightly. Her breath escaped her parted lips as she exhaled, and she moved her fingers gently.

A gentle chuckle sounded from her throat as she felt the humming begin to dance from her fingertips to her palm. She twisted her hands elegantly, reopening her eyes to look down at her hands. She was unable to see in any real indication of the power, but she could feel it.

Her chocolate eyes were bright with excitement, and she brought her hands closer to her face as she felt the power center itself between her palms. She laughed jovially, sending her instructor an excited glance.

The other woman merely smiled slightly, and nodded her head toward the dummy that the two had set up on a previous training session.

She looked away from her instructor, her dark eyes finding the prop. Her lips parted as she inhaled deeply again. She held her hands in front of her, and began twisting her fingers slightly. The hum of power followed her movements, but still stayed concentrated between her palms as she wished.

Her back turned to the dummy slightly, and she exhaled. Her pink lips tightened determinedly, and she felt her heartbeat speed up in anticipation.

She whipped her body back around, pushing her hands harshly in front of her. The power ejected itself from her palms as she did so, and she soon saw the dummy explode from the middle, where she assumed the power hit.

A surprised laugh escaped her lips, and she turned to her instructor. Her eyes were glimmering with self-pride, the instructor noticed. And surprise, as if she hadn't expected that she would be able to focus her power.

"Congratulations."

The younger Protector smiled, her cheeks dimpling in happiness. She had been practicing this for weeks, and she had been unable to focus her own power. Before, whenever she'd used it, it had been in dire situations and she hadn't completely been able to control it. Now, knowing that she was able to use her power whenever she needed to, she felt tremendously better.

***

okay so i know that the [00] chapter of a book usually acts as a prologue of sorts, but i had something different in mind for that. so this was basically allison learning to control her powers, and i wanted to add that in because in Hurricane she was very inexperienced. in Into the Storm, allison's powers are going to become a very big part of her, so it was important that i incorporated this.