"Girls would love to have him chasing after them like he's doing for you," Leigh Anne pointed out, though her muffled tone suggested I wasn't supposed to catch that.

"Oh, I know," I replied, the thought of Rachel and her pack coming to mind.

I saw a container of spaghetti, a hunk of buttered bread, and a can of Pepsi.

I grinned up at the ladies. "Thank you."

Perrie dimpled. "That's what friends are for."

Friends. Perrie had called us friends. The term was almost foreign. I had had a friend, and even then it had felt like something different. Deeper. And here I was with three girls calling themselves my friends.

And they were acting like my friends. So does that mean they are my friends?

"Thanks. Friend," I added awkwardly.

They laughed at my obvious social disability.

"No problem," Jesy said. "Friend."

~*~

"So what are we going to perform?"

I shrugged at Perrie's question. "Dunno."

She rolled her eyes. "Well we need to choose something," Perrie insisted.

I thought for a moment. "I'm Like a Bird."

"You're what?" Jesy asked.

"It's a song," Jade explained with a duh tone.

"Oh," the three of them chorused.

"Sounds good to me," Perrie shrugged.

Jade looked at the clock. There was another half hour before their next school day began. Jade sighed since she wanted to go get something to eat for herself, whereas the others weren't hungry.

"Um, here. It's on my iPod and you can listen whilst I will find some food," I said, fumbling with said iPod to find the song. I put it on the stereo and told them, "You'll catch on to the chorus pretty easily." I pressed play and then stood up from my bed.

I walked down the hallways and when I got to the cafeteria I felt some people watching me. I suddenly understood what authors meant in stories when they said they felt others looking at them closely.

I just got a donut and a croissant, because I'm so healthy and then put it in a paper bag. I left quickly, eager to escape the nosy gazes of bystanders.

This morning I was wearing a plaid shirt tucked into shorts, though I chose to wear my glasses once again so I think they were confused.