Chapter 8: Just A Friend

Start from the beginning

"Sis, I'd like you to meet my finance, Astoria Wellington." This caught me off guard and also made the tension leave from my shoulders. I let out a sigh of relief. Sister? That would explain his gentleness and affection towards her.

"My brother enjoys hiding the things he cares for most from me," she said with a pointed look at Nathaniel before her blue eyes roamed my features. "I wish we could have met at the engagement party," she said in a thick Italian accent as I grinned at her. "But my brother had other plans for you that evening. He hid you from me all evening, what a scoundrel of an older brother." She grinned warmly at me, pulling me into a hug, catching me off guard. "You're even more beautiful than my family has told me," she said, holding me at arms length before leading us into the kitchen. "She's far more quiet than I had expected."

Nathaniel scoffed behind me as I elbowed him in the ribs. He covered his snickering laugh with a cough as I glared at him. "Catalina, are you sure that we talking about the same Astoria?" Nathaniel asked with a Cheshire grin. Catalina paid no attention to him; instead she turned to me as she circled the table in the center of the bakery, sitting across from Nathaniel and I.

"Nathaniel tells me that you like strawberry and chocolate cake?" She asked, sitting on her stool, reaching for the pen and paper in front of her. I nodded, marveling at all of the people in the kitchen. The phrase 'there are too many cooks in the kitchen' is not fitting to this scene; everyone was so in sync, it was awing. There must be twenty bakers in here, and not a single one showed any form of weakness, all perfectly in sync.

"Hello?" Nathaniel asked, waving his hand in front of my face, gesturing towards the cake in front of me. My eyes almost popped out of my head. It was chocolate cake with strawberry chunks and strawberry filling between layers. My stomach growled and Lena smiled warmly. I could see the similarities between her and her brother, not only did they have the same dark, wavy hair, but they also had the same almond shaped eyes and warm, olive complexion. She had his same dark, curly hair, but hers was pulled back in a bun off her neck.

"This is so good, Lean," Nathaniel purred beside me as I took my first bite. I closed my eyes, savoring the taste.

"Is that... dark chocolate and... a hint of vanilla?" I asked.

Lena nodded, passing me another plate with a lemon cake with butter cream frosting and a cute lemon drawn on the top. "This is Nate's favorite cake," she said, sitting up straighter, making me smile. I knew Nathaniel was right to keep me away from her until now; we got along instantly, I had a feeling we'd be inseparable in the future. I could see the love she had for her brother reflecting in her eyes, making me smile, wishing I had someone like that in my life. Livingston was the closest thing I had to a brother, and even then, he hardly spoke to me since the engagement party. He wanted a wife, not another sister.

"Well?" Nathaniel said expectantly beside me, making me grin before picking up my fork.

I took a bite of the lemon and again I was awed. "How have I not met you before today?" I asked, taking another bite of the chocolate strawberry. "This is the best I've ever had," I purred.

I felt Nathaniel's foot nudge mine, his hand resting on my lap as he leaned close to me. "I thought I was the best thing you've ever hand," he whispered huskily, making goose bumps form on my arms as I pulled back from him.

"Nathaniel George," I said, swatting at him playfully. "I don't like what you're implying," I teased, earning a roaring laugh from him.

"Astoria wants a sheet cake, and a three tiered cake, the top looking like the aisle we will walk down, with the petals on the outside of the aisle, and the other two tiers squares with whatever designs you think look best, Lean, she's putting her happiness in your hands," he teased. "Better not disappoint my beautiful bride," he said with a teasing gleam in his eyes.