3. Charms of the Skies

Start from the beginning

"Ah...you do have a point there. So, you're Nathaniel?" Lhea asked.

"Yes I am. I see you did your homework," Nathaniel said.

"Thank you," she said, trying to suppress the triumphant grin beginning to inch it's way on her face. The blonde male smirked, deciding that the party wasn't so bad after all.

Nathaniel had only came because his parents wanted him to, and to make a good impression, he agreed. He also thought the Harrison's daughter was going to be a bore, but now, not so much.

"You know, you're a lot different than what I expected you to be," he commented.
"Oh? What did you think I was going to be like?" Lhea asked. Nathaniel thought for a while before he answered.

"Oh, I don't know. Did you intentionally choose me to talk to?" he asked. Lhea hesitated, in some ways, she might have, but she didn't know it was Nathaniel Skies until he said so.

"Maybe? I was just looking for someone to talk to, and you just happened to be here so..."

"Ah I see. If that's the case, then I think your friend over there will be of more company than I am," Nathaniel said, gesturing Donovan, who was standing a little while away, intensely watching the conversation between Nathaniel and Lhea.

Lhea turned to see whom Nathaniel was gesturing at, her eyes widening when she saw Donovan looking at her. She didn't expect such an intense look from the man, but when he noticed Lhea looking at him, his gaze softened, helping Lhea relax a little. She had thought he was upset that he couldn't spend time with her, but now that she could see him...

"Hold on a second Nathaniel. I'll get Donovan over," she said to the blonde man who nodded politely and resumed finishing his strawberry tart. He had to say, the treats were delicious and he was looking forward to the cake later on.

Lhea made her way through the crowd, finally able to approach Donovan. He was surprised, he didn't think she would ditch an opportunity to talk with a possible business partner to talk with him. But nevertheless, he was glad that her eyes were on him now.

"Donovan, you should have come over to say hi! Why don't you come over and chat with us?" Lhea asked, gesturing to where both her and Nathaniel were. Donovan's face fell slightly. Oh, he should have known. Lhea would have wanted him to introduce himself to Nathaniel. He took in deep breaths and forced a smile on his face.

"I won't mind, he seems like a nice guy," he forced the words out. Lhea's smile widened and she immediately dragged him over to Nathaniel, who had finished the tart and was eating a creampuff now.

The blonde male looked up, placing a polite smile after finishing his creampuff. Shame, he was about to help himself with the goods by the chocolate fountain. But then gain, company comes first, or so he was taught. He looked over Donovan who seemed a bit...hostile? towards him. Nathaniel raised an eyebrow at the slight dark aura emanating from the taller male. He shrugged it off and greeted the two again.

"Ah, good evening sir. I don't believe I've seen you around?" he said.

Donovan almost snorted at the question. This guy was just trying to be polite, showing some good manners, he despised the attitude, but clearly Lhea was charmed. Well, in his eyes Lhea was charmed by the man, when in reality, Lhea just found the man to be quite good company, despite not knowing each other for long. The brunette male huffed and reluctantly held out his hand along with the best friendly smile that bore the least ill intentions behind it.

"No, I don't think you have. I mean, the Harrisons and the Skies haven't really been friendly with each other after all. Ah right, I'm Donovan, Donovan Orchids, son of the chairman-" he was quickly cut off by Nathaniel.

"Don't bother with the fancy introductions. I think I may have heard your father's surname around a little. Irvine Orchids, am I right? Secretary of Mark Harrison?" Nathaniel confirmed as he shook Donovan's hand.

Lhea raised an eyebrow at Nathaniel's knowledge of the Harrisons. She had thought Nathaniel will be some daddy's boy snob who knew nothing about their surroundings, but clearly, this man knew more than he revealed. In a way, she was quite taken with this man, and was interested in getting to know him better.

"Hm, you do know your stuff, Skies," Donovan remarked, retracting his hand immediately after the handshake had been done. He felt quite repulsed, he really didn't like anyone touching him unless it was Lhea. He glanced over at the shorter female who seemed to be watching Nathaniel intently. Oh no, throughout his years knowing Lhea, he knew that she always fancied the knowledgeable, mysterious ones. This wasn't looking too good for him.

"So, Nathaniel. This might be a rather common question for you, but, how is your father and mine in the same room but yet not at each other's necks yet?" she asked. She asked the question knowing full well about the strong rivalry between her great-grandfather and the Skies's great-grandfather, and the Harrison grandfather and the Skies's grandfather and the generation after that. It wasn't exactly a rivalry either, just a very, very long lasting grudge against each other.

Nathaniel shrugged, briefly looking over to his father who was talking with Lhea's father, being quite friendly. "I don't know...as you can see, they're seem quite friendly with each other right now," he pointed out.

The three of them looked over to the two grown men in conversation. Suspicion began to rise as they noticed something a bit off. Was it just that they got over their differences, or were the two chairmen plotting something else?

~*~*~

Half an hour later, the cake was announced to be out soon and Lhea had to leave her newfound company and long-time friend behind as she needed to prepare herself for the speech. She hurried over to where her mother along with another woman were standing. Elena Harrison was waiting there, a smile on her face as she had seen her daughter talking with the Skies's son. She was proud that her daughter had taken the initiative and had found a good candidate for her husband.

"Darling, you're here! This is Mrs. Carlson, I'm sure that surname is familiar to you?" the elderly woman asked. Lhea looked at the taller lady, dressed in dark blue hues.

"Ah yes, Mrs. Carlson! Pleasure to meet you this evening," she greeted with a smile.

"Same to you, Miss Harrison. I saw you talking to the Skies's son earlier, choosing him would definitely benefit the Harrison's business position by great means...though, my sons are quite good men as well..." the woman suggested slyly, a thin smile on her face. Lhea flinched, her mother must had been talking again.

"Ahahaha, truly...I would love to get to know the Carlson brothers soon. But oh dear, I should really hurry off and prepare myself. Thank you very much for your coming here though, Mrs. Carlson," she said in a hurry to get away. The older women just laughed and waved her off, their own marital plans slowly piecing together in their minds...

*****

Holy moly, that was one long chapter! Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Also my exams are next week onwards so I'm afraid I won't be able to update during that week.

So, have a nice week ahead of you and please vote or leave a comment~!