Eleven

Packing, getting to the airport, and the flight itself were virtually painless.  The Buffalo airport was basically empty when i arrived and its pretty small so there's no way i could get lost.  I continued to walk the blue lined halls as the butterflies grew larger and my palms began to sweat.  I could barely containe my excitment anymore and i felt my pace quickening.  Frank told me he'd be waiting by the security check which is right next to the doors that all of the passengers exit from to get to baggage.  Lots of people wait there for their loved ones as apposed to baggage or somewhere else thats farther away from where you're allowed to be. 

Anyway, I just couldn't take it anymore.  I began to jog through the airport, weaving in and out of preoccupied buisnessmen and the janitors who were in no hurry to clean.  The back pack on my back was bouncing with every step, which was annoying but that still wouldn't stop me.  Before i knew it, the doors were in sight and I could see Frank on the other side checking his phone.  I lost all of my self control at this point and I began to sprint towards him.  My eyes began to prick as i passed the thresh hold and Frank and I made eye contact.  He quickly shoved his phone in his pocket and moved towards me with open arms. 

It seemed like it took forever to get into his arms but i finally made it.  He had his arms wrapped around my waist and mine were around his neck.  As he swang me in a circle he laughed and said  "Took you long enough baby girl!  I was starting to think you got lost!" 

When he set me down i quickly whipped away the tears of happiness that had spilled over and began to laugh. "Oh come on, no tears, no tears," he said as he wrapped his arms back around my neck.  His muscular arm was crushing my neck in half but i didn't tell him to let go, or rather couldn't.  I felt him kiss the top of my head as he rocked me back and forth sowly.  I could kick myself for crying, i'm sucha baby sometimes.  He released me and wrapped an arm around my waist, guideing me towards the staircase that lead to baggage claim.  

"I'm so happy to see you, Frank," I said with a sniffel and wrapping my arms around his torso as we continued walking.  Surprisingly i didn't lose my balance as i did this.  "Who's coming over this year?"  He looked up at the ceiling, thinking about it. 

"You.  Me.  Chris."  I smiled at the thought of Chris.  He came almost every year and was one of our best friends.  Frank had been deployed many times with him and when Frank wasn't with him he was usually the one checking up on me and taking me to dinner from time to time.  He was like another brother to me so i was pretty thrilled to hear he'd be with us again.  " That new guy Jamie I was telling you about."  I nodded and waited for him to continue.  " Smith.  Sophia.  Joanne.  Dodge.  Cameron.  Tom P, oh and I think Lou said he'd stop by.  I had some other maybes too."  Doing the math in my head i counted  about 10 or 11 depending on Lou.  We'd be cooking a good amount this year, especially without Lily's help.

We reached the bottom of the stairs and made our way to the rotating luggage claim thing.  I found my bags almost instantly and Frank grabbed my duffle while I snatched the guitar.  I wouldn't be able to survive without it.  With everything in hand we made our way to the parking lot where Frank had parked his Escape.  We quickened our pace as the cold wind nipped at our skin and whipped our hair back and forth.  Frank quickly unlocked the doors and we threw my stuff into the trunk before hopping into the front seat.  Once the truck was running we blasted the heat and the radio and made our way out of the packed parking lot. 

We lived maybe 10 minutes away from the airport so we'd be home soon enough.  As we drove down the dark streets we sang along to our favorite Nickelback CD.  Frank would drum on the steering wheel and I would take the guitar solos with much enthusiasum.  When we passed by my old high school I made rapid gunfire sounds as i aimed my imaginary gun at it.  In my mind, it exploded with Jared, Casey, Brent, and the new guy inside.  I grinned to myself and Frank began to laugh at my fake assasignation because I did that every time I passed by the school.