5

---Rayne's POV---

Logan and I walked up a small hill, still surrounded by forest. The trees made me feel uncomfortable; I was used to the open spaces on the snowy mountains in Ice Nation. Logan seemed quite at home, which sent a pang through my chest as I remembered my parents I had left behind. My master that I never returned to. The mission I failed.

I pushed the memories away and continued to walk down the track. I checked the time. We has been walking for a little over 2 hours.

"Should we rest soon?" I asked Logan. I wasn't tired yet, but Logan probably wasn't as fit or used to walking long distances as me.

"Do you mind?" He asked me.

"Nah, I'm pretty tired too," I lied.

"Ok then, should we take shelter or just... sit down?"

He was an idiot sometimes.

"Take shelter! You never know who might come across here," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Sorry for asking," I heard him mutter under his breath. He sat down next to a bush.

"Why are you so jumpy all the time, anyway?" Logan looked up at me as I stepped onto the first branch of a willow tree dangling over the swamp that still hadn't ended.

"I'm...not used to forest," I said quickly. Logan nodded slowly. I hauled myself up the trunk to the next branch. The tree was leaning towards the water, making it easier to climb.

When I reached the top, I still couldn't see over the forest.

"I'm going to find a taller tree," I said to Logan as I climbed back down again. "Don't move."

I turned my back and quickly sneaked a hunting knife Logan had in his pack into my pocket. I looked around the area, but all the trees were either covered in moss or too small. The best trees were across the swamp.

Of course they are, I thought to myself. I walked to the edge of the water and looked down. I could see the bottom from there, so I decided it was clean enough. I pulled a stick from the ground and tossed it into the water. It sunk. I stood up and peered over the edge to see if I could see it. Blackness.

Must be pretty deep, I thought as I went for another stick. I bent down, so not to fall in, and leaned forward as far as I could. I swirled the stick around in the water and felt a sharp tug, causing me to let go. I jumped up and missed my footing. I fell back and knocked a tree, making it shiver and drop some leaves onto the water. The water bubbled, and a fin poked out. I gasped, watching as the leaves sunk down. There was no way I was going to cross that water.

I turned to walk back to where I left Logan, only to stop at the sound of leaves crunching. Luckily it wasn't nearby, so I had time to pull up my hood and take the knife out of my pocket before climbing the closest tree.

The footsteps became louder and louder, until eventually I could see the silhouette of the leader. When their face came into view, I recognised it straight away.

The guard that found me was here.

The one that knows who I am.

I stayed hidden in the tree, trying not to move. The guard was leading two others; Thorn, the prince, and the princess. I couldn't remember her name. They passed under my tree and I held my breath. That was when I remembered Logan. He was in the open, waiting for me. I waited till the trio was about 5 metres from my tree before I began to climb down. I'd never been so careful in my life; the only other mission that's been so stressful was when I was proving to my master that I was worthy of becoming a true assassin.