Invitations

"3...2...1...Pull!" I barely suppressed a shriek as Selaeyah yanked back the strings on my bodice, pulling them until the gown was uncomfortably tight around my chest and stomach before tying them in a secure double knot.

Note from Queen Saralee: I haven't done one of these in a while, so I thought I'd pop in. "Uncomfortably tight" is an understatement. That stupid thing made me feel like I was being choked!

 That stupid thing made me feel like I was being choked!

*The wedding gown*

"I'm sorry," she winced as I gasped, doubling over as I clutched my compressed abdomen. "Did I hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine," I muttered.

"Good. Does it fit?"

"Does it fit?" I fumed. "Does this thing look like it fits to you? I'm dying in here! I need air!"

"That means it's perfect," Selaeyah beamed.

"Are you insane?" I groaned. "I hate this stupid, old fashioned, poofy thing. Why can't I just wear a regular gown? My waist is tiny enough the way it is!"

"Because it's a royal wedding and you're the bride," she rolled her eyes. "And it's not about your waist being tiny enough. It's about elegance and tradition."

"But I like to be known as a modern ruler, and you know that! I refuse to show up to my own wedding dressed like Queen Thalayna!"

"Modern," Selaeyah scoffed. "Another term for tasteless. And what's wrong with looking like Queen Thalayna? Women of her time were so sophisticated and graceful...like ladies should be. Look at the young nobles of today, walking around in shorts and t-shirts. It's repulsive."

"Isn't it ironic that the leader of the clan that develops all of our latest technology is so backward?"

"I'm not backward, I'm just a stickler for tradition."

"Whatever you say," I sighed. "Can I please take this gown off now? I think I'm going to suffocate."

"No," Selaeyah shook her head. "You're going to have to get used to it if you want to be able to sit through the entire wedding in it."

"Oh, fine," I groaned. "Can I at least go see what Derwel's done with Fenorel's suit?"

"You can't be seen in that gown!" The Chief gasped. "It'll ruin the surprise!"

"So, you're saying that I can't leave my suite until you think I've 'gotten used to' the gown?"

"Yes."

"Great. Just great."

"It's going to pay off next week! Lessaenes will be awed by your poise and ease in that heavy outfit."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, I have to get invitations out today, and since I'm stuck here, I need you to give them to the Ice Guards to be distributed." I gestured to five two-foot-tall stacks of envelopes on my dresser.

"Alright," Selaeyah smiled. "Liretta!?"

"Yes?" The Iceheart Department official poked her head through the door dutifully.

"Help me carry these." Selaeyah pointed to the invitations.

"Of course," Liretta nodded, and I watched, slightly amused, as they struggled to balance the tall stacks of invitations.

"What's the point of paper invitations?" Selaeyah asked. 

"I like them. I think they add a little extra formality to the occasion." 

"But isn't paper-" 

"Priceless. I know," I cut her off. "The fact is, Fenorel and I spent more money on the paper than we did on anything else for the wedding! At least, now, we don't have to give people send-off gifts at the end. They can just auction off their invitations and make a small fortune!" 

"Very funny," Selaeyah rolled her eyes. "We'll be back soon. If you step out of this suite, I'll know. Believe me." 

"Alright, I'll stay here," I nodded. "But only because I trust that your plan will make me look my best next week. I don't bend to threats from my subordinates." 

"Fair enough," the Chief nodded curtly, exiting the room. 

..........................

"Yes! It worked!" Selaeyah set her stack of invitations on the nearest table and threw her arms up in jubilation as soon as she was out of the Royal suite.

"What worked?" Liretta raised an eyebrow. 

"My plan! I knew that forcing Saralee to sit in her suite all day would cause her to give me the responsibility of distributing invitations to her wedding." 

"Wait...didn't you ask her not to come out so that no one would see her gown?" 

"No, I just needed to get my hands on the invitations! Now, I can finally have my revenge!" 

"What are you talking about?" 

"Let me show you," Selaeyah grinned, digging through the stack. "Aha! Here it is!" She pulled an envelope out of the middle, holding it up to the light to read the lettering in the top left corner. 

Raliyel Novisty
Scientist Clan
Glaisse, Greater Glaisse Province, Lessaenes. 

"Oh," Liretta's eyes lit up with understanding. "How smart! How perfectly devious!" She rubbed her hands together devilishly. 

Spurred on by her friend's enthusiasm, Selaeyah approached the nearest decorative Aural lamp, letting go of the invitation and watching as it floated into the blue flames. 

"Oops," she smirked as the crisp, white envelope began to turn black.