The Ball

I decided to wear the same dress I had worn to Keilee's coronation to the ball. Of course, my sister found this outrageous, she had probably never worn the same dress twice in her life. However, I ignored her complaints, because I really didn't feel like going through my wardrobe, which, for a Lessaenite princess, was really more like a wardroom, searching for the perfect dress.

"Royalty should never wear the same dress to two parties," Keilee said crossly. "You know if I wanted, I could order you to change to save myself from embarrassment."

"It would be a stupid thing to waste your power on," I shrugged.

"This is meant with no disrespect, Queen Keilee, but I think Princess Saralee looks just fine the way she is. Actually, I think she looks quite lovely."

Note from Queen Saralee: Of course I do. When do I not look lovely?"

Keilee and I simultaneously turned our heads to see Fenorel casually leaning against the wall, his arms crossed.

How much had he heard?

I could almost feel the waves of anger and jealousy rolling off of my sister as she balled her hands up into fists at her sides.

"Ah, Lord Soren, how nice of you to show up," Keilee giggled, covering her reddening cheeks with the palm of her hand. "Although...you are a bit early for the ball."

"As early as necessary to see our new Queen's..."

Keilee's face brightened at this, but instantly turned sour when she heard him finish his sentence.

"Sister."

Note from Queen Saralee: The most totally and utterly perfect being ever created.

"That girl?" Keilee spat, pointing to me.

"But why would you want to see her? She's an idiot! She has the fashion sense of an old man and walks like a crow!"

Note from Queen Saralee: JUST YOU WAIT UNTIL I BECOME AN ICEHEART! JUST YOU WAIT!!!

"Oh, really? Let's see who's better once and for all, shall we?" Fenorel smiled slyly.

"Let's play a little game. Alright, this first question's for Queen Keilee. Name the nine Lessaenite Empire provinces that are actually on Lessaenes."

"Oh, that's easy," Keilee giggled. "Okay, so I know there's the Greater Glaisse Province, cause I live in it...the Syke Mountain Province, and...I'm not sure. Besides, what's the point of knowing the provinces when you have an Auramap."

"Alright, Princess Saralee?" He turned to me.

"Greater Glaisse Province, Greater Pylea Province, Syke Mountain Province, Coronia Province, Empire Province, Xelse Province, Arenis Province, Chelsea Province, Nontorne Province," I recited gleefully.

"Correct!" Fenorel smiled.

"What's 64+67?"

"121!" Keilee yelled with determination the moment the question came out of Fenorel's mouth.

"Incorrect."

"It's 131," I rolled my eyes. "Obviously."

"Princess Saralee gets it again!" Fenorel clapped his hands.

"Where do human and Lessaenite leaders meet for interstellar negotiations and why?"

"In Glaisse or New Washington, duh. Where else would they meet but one of our capitals?"

Note from Queen Saralee: And she's supposed to be the Queen...

"Incorrect...again. Princess Saralee?"

"They meet in a neutral ship stationed at the edge of Earth's solar system, so that neither side is given the advantage of being at home."

"That's right," Fenorel beamed.

"Alright, Queen Keilee, this last one's easier because its multiple choice. Which one of the following does not exist? A city without an Elitia, a type of warmatch that involves animals, the eighth continent on Earth, or a temperate climate on Rhena?"

"Um...what's a temperate climate?" Keilee scrunched up her brows in confusion.

"Can't tell you."

"Then a temperate climate on Rhena," she scoffed. "If I don't know what it is, there's no way it can exist!"

"Once again, incorrect!" Fenorel shook his head. "Princess Saralee?"

"Actually, the answer I got isn't even one of the choices!" I feigned disappointment. "I guess I got it wrong."

"See?" Keilee screamed in rage. "She doesn't know everything?"

"We'll see about that," Fenorel nodded slowly. "Tell us, Princess Saralee, what answer did you get?"

"Well, the question is asking about something that doesn't exist, so I was thinking...Keilee's brain!" I snickered.

Note from Queen Saralee: AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Younger me, I love you so much!!!

"Correct! Wonderful job! By the final score, Princess Saralee wins 4-0."

"That's not fair! Her answer wasn't correct for that last one!" Keilee seethed . "It wasn't even an option!"

"Nevertheless, it was true and correct," Fenorel flashed the lazy grin so many Glaisse girls adored and grabbed my hand.

I turned my head away from Keilee's furious look.

"If we weren't in public..." She whispered in my ear.

"It looks like the ball's starting," Fenorel pointed to the hall before I could react. People were beginning to filter in, the sound system was turned up to full volume, and Keilee had pompously seated herself on the throne." 

"Thank you so much," I grinned. "You're wonderful, you really are."

"I did it for you," Fenorel smiled. "Because you're wonderfuller."

At this I laughed, ignoring envious looks from everyone else in the room.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to see something like that happen to her. I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"There is one way you can,"
he said slowly. "Dance with me."

"But I don't know how to-"

"You don't have to." Before I could react, the Keeper heir had pulled me into the middle of the floor."