“Yes, I would like to know why exactly I cannot be trusted with the information of what this “change” is?” I made sure to use finger quotations when I said the word “change.”

“Oh. Well, you've not progressed enough for it to be safe to tell you. I know you don't understand my darling, but once you find out more, then you will,” she said and reached out for my hand.

“What the Hell do you mean, I've not progressed enough? Shouldn't I get to know what the devil is going to happen to me? How would you even know if I've changed if you never even notice me?” The little control I had mustered was dissolving. What's wrong with me?

“I'll leave you then, Emma.” Something flashed across her face- it seemed as though she was afraid of me. She got up and left.

Great now she's scared of me. I sighed. I lied down and let the darkness take me. The whole night was plagued by images of my party, of Dominic, of his fangs. I woke up in a deep sweat- he had fangs! Something inside me clicked but I didn't know what it was, the sleepiness was pulling me back under. He had fangs! I knew it- but what does it mean?

I woke as I do most early mornings- crying. God I hate that dream. I decided to try and let it go. I needed sleep, the world felt like a trap door waiting to fall out from under me. The dream didn't change- it never did. But I was ... and that scared me.

I felt the strange sensation that I was forgetting something important, something I had dreamt- but it was gone. Oh well. I covered my head with my comforter and forced myself back into sleep.

By the time my brain got my eye lids open it was sunny. I grabbed my cell to check the time. Damn, two o'clock, and still no word from Mike. Fine screw them all! Today I was staying in my room and not bothering with the world. I'll stay in my pjs and watch some classics like Dracula.

I cuddled deeper into my blanket and wished the day away. It passed quick enough without incident or word from the outside world. Normally I'd worry- but today I had my own pity party going. I went to sleep early. You should eat something- otherwise you'll have nightmares. I didn't care.

Monday brought hope to my smelly self. Mike will be at school and will fix everything. I showered, got dressed, and actually ate a full breakfast, instead of a quick bite.

When I got to school I found Mike but he was lost in some world of thoughts. I waved my hand in front of his face and held out the journal.

“Your turn.” I smiled and winked at him.

He blinked at the journal and then looked from it to me. Something is clearly wrong.

“What's up buttercup?” I sat down next to him on the cold, gray concrete of the curb.

“Uh, nothing. I had a really long weekend. How'd Friday go? I'm sorry I was m.i.a. all weekend.” He seemed to be letting something go for now.

“Oh, you know, the usual- my father announced my betrothal to my childhood best friend's brother, got tipsy as a result, got drugged by said guy, and then I blacked out. You know the usual.” I tried to keep my voice neutral as I said these things.

“What?” His voice carried anger with it and his mouth dropped open slightly.

“I tried to call you, but you were busy.” I could see the hurt in his eyes. I shouldn't have said that. “I'm sorry Mike.”

“No, you're right, I wasn't available and now I so wish that I had been. You're betrothed? Do you want me to knock this guy out and hide the body?”