Chapter 3

Josh rubs soothing circles on your palm. He's sitting in a chair while you're curled up like a child in his lap. "I've always been afraid of being the same." He says. You look into his chocolate eyes and it looks like his in another world. Like his head is in space.

                "What?" You ask as you sit up to sit in the chair across from him. You wipe the remaining tears from your eyes before sitting criss cross applesauce in the armchair.

                "Being the same as everyone else has always scared me. All of the people in the world. They're okay with being the same as everyone else. They want to be the same. But we're not. All of us have our own thoughts, demons, and goals. It terrifies me to be the same as someone else. They aren't me and I don't want to become them. My best inspiration comes from being me. That sounds ridiculous. But it bothers me that someone else has my name. It makes people beautiful when they accept that they're different." He finishes.

                You think about everything he just said. You'd always wanted to blend in. Every party, every class, and every social event you'd just wanted to blend in and disappear. Josh was the complete opposite. Even if he did feel insecure, he didn't show it. He was special. He runs a hand through his bright red hair and gives you a smile. "Want to go to Taco Bell?" He asks as his eyes crinkle in a smile.

                "As long as it's not a date." You wink as you stand up to lock the doors and close the shop. He follows you out and closes the door.

                "Ill race you to the car." He proposes. "And if I win, it's a date." He smirks.

                "You got yourself a deal, Dun. A Dun deal if you would."

                "Ready, set, go!" He chants.

                Josh breaks off into a sprint and you zoom after him. He is a few steps in front of you and you push your legs to go faster. He almost runs into a lady and yells a quick apology. The streets aren't as crowded now and you're thankful. Josh looks back at you to smile, but runs into a bush and falls into it. "I'm okay!" He yells as you dart past. The car is in distance and you pant as your side begins to ache. You hear Josh's footsteps behind you and you give one final spurt to the car. Josh comes stumbling behind you and puts his hands on his knees.

                "Okay, I think... you win." He pants out. You smile and unlock the car. He slides into the passenger's seat and turns on the radio. The sound of happy piano and drumbeats fill the car as Ride begins to play. Josh drums along and you laugh while singing along to Tyler's voice. The Taco Bell comes into view and Josh begins to drum on his thighs excitedly. When you park, Josh nearly hops out of the car. You lock arms with the man child and he begins to skip to the door. You look at him and smile before skipping along.

                "Can I help you two?" The cashier says before rolling his eyes. You stick your tongue out at them when the kid looks away and then place your order. Josh orders a soft taco and a Mountain Dew Baha Blast. You sit in a booth with Josh and he plays with his hands. "So," He begins shyly.

                "Since this isn't a date, would you like to go on one sometime?" Josh asks while giving you a nervous smile. You laugh at his nervousness and nod your head.

                "Of course, Joshua." You answer. He stands up in the Taco Bell and screams, "Sick as frick!"

                "Also," he sits back down. "Would you want to come to our concert Tuesday?" Josh asks with a giant smile. "You'd get a VIP pass and hang out with Jenna, and Tyler, and me, and Mark an-"

                "Yes, Josh. I'd be delighted." You say while taking his hand. He stands up again, smiling, then goes to get your order. He brings the tray over and sets it on the table.

                "Dinner is served." He jokes.

You take your food and take a bite. "This isn't too bad." You say while chewing. Josh nods and stuffs more taco into his mouth. This man. He was definitely different than other guys. On the outside, he was kind of tough looking. He had tattoos and died hair, giving him a "cool guy" look. On the inside, he was soft and kind. When you really got to know him, you could see the kindness in his eyes. He cared about everyone.

Josh takes your hand again and you blush. Did you seriously have feelings for him? Of course you did. I mean, he's the nicest, cutest, most caring guy you know. But the question you asked yourself instead was, were you going to let yourself fall for him? Josh squeezes your hand and brings you out of your thoughts. "There's a park nearby. Wanna swing with me?" He asks while throwing away his trash. You nod and take a sip of your drink.

. . .

                "The concert is going to be sick." Josh says as he swings back and forth.

                "You're sick." You mumble to yourself. Josh still hears and holds your hand.

                "Today has been great. Thank you for that, (Y/N)" He says as he looks at the sunset. The sky is a pink color and makes his hair look fluffy. His brown eyes are bright in the diminishing sunlight. You yawn and he stands up.

                "Can you drive me home?" He asks while scratching the back of his neck. You nod and walk to the car with him.

                You unlock your apartment and your phone buzzes. You glance and see it's a message from Josh. You unlock your phone and click on his name.

                Red: thanks for the best not-date ever.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter!! Where are you guys from? I think it's cool that the people that read my books are from all over! Anyways, love you guys!