Chapter One

Your POV:

"(Y/NNNNNNN)!" Rami whines.

"Whaaaaaaat?" you whip your head around to look at your feline partner.

"I'm sooooooo hungry! We've been out here forever!  When are we gonna find this stupid thing?"

You sigh and roll your eyes. "We'll find it when we find it. Okay? Just wait a little longer."

You, (Y/N) (Y/L/N), are an independent wizard. Independent wizards are a concept the magic counsel came up with a few years ago. They're basically like guild wizards, only they're not in a guild. Currently, you and Rami are on a job to slay a monster terrorizing a nearby village. You two have been out there for three hours.

"Hang on a minute, I think I see something!" You run up to the closest tree to you and hide behind it. You definitely saw a flash of white run past.

"Whe–mghfgffugmff!?" You cover Rami's mouth with your hand. "Shhhhh! I heard something."  You remove your hand from your exceed's face and fill your fists with purple moon energy, ready to attack.

Just as you are about to jump out and fight the monster, someone grabs your arm and pulls you from behind the tree you are squatting next to.

"Let go of me!" You yell while smacking your kidnapper's arms. But you stop mid-smack to find a boy around your age is holding your wrists. He has the most beautiful blue eyes you had ever seen paired with spiky blonde hair that seems to defy gravity. He lets go of you and scans you up and down.

"You're a...girl?" He looks really confused. You opened your mouth to say something but before you can, a small, maroon colored cat wearing a blueish vest runs over.

"Sting! Sting we gotta get going! I think I found the–wait a sec who are they?" He motions toward you and Rami.

You let go of the moon energy that was still on your fists and clear your throat.

"I am (Y/N) (Y/L/N) and this is my friend, Rami." Rami smiles and gives a small wave.

"I'm Sting Eucliffe, that's Lector." He points to the red cat that ran in before. "If you don't mind me asking, what're you two doing out here? There's a monster on the loose, you know."

"We know!" Rami pipes. "That's why we're here!" The boy, whose name is Sting apparently, and his cat, Lector, look extremely confused.

"What? You're in a guild? Which one?" Sting cocks his head and stuffs his hands in his pockets.

"No. I'm actually an independent wizard." You lift your shirt and sash to show your (F/C) bird-like mark on your stomach. Sting furrows his eyebrows. " It's pretty much a guild wizard that's not in a guild. We can take jobs and stuff, but they're solo.

"Huh. Neat. We're from Sabertooth." Sting turns sideways to show his white guild mark on his shoulder. "I'm actually the master."

You definitely aren't expecting that. This doofus? A guild master? Ha! How hilarious. Although something does smell off about him.

"That's great. Listen. We have to get going. There's a monster that needs slaying. It was great meeting you both and maybe we'll run into each other again someday." You turn around and start to walk away.

"Wait! Are you here to kill the monster that's been terrorizing the town nearby?" You stop walking and turn your head to face Sting.

"Um...yeah? Why?" Why does this dongus wanna know?

"Because that's what we're here to do too..." Your eyes widen. No way! Who does this guy think he is?

"Yeah...about that...we were here first. So this is our job. You two can go home now. We'll take care of it." You smile politely.

"No way! We're getting that 50,000 jewel." Lector makes a pouty face.

"Oh yeah? You can try!" The two exceeds clash heads and so do you and Sting.

Suddenly, a very loud roar is heard which causes the two cats to break apart, but the dragon slayers don't flinch. They just continue bickering.

"Um...(Y/N)? Sting? What's that thing?" Rami tugs at your sash.

"Is it the monster?" You sigh.

"Yes." Rami gulps. And it's huge.

You take a quick glance over your shoulder to see what looks like a giant tortoise like creature charging straight towards you and Sting. You roll your eyes, face Sting again, put your arm out to the monster, and shoot a beam of purple light at the monster's head. Sting looks over at the monster, and then back at you wide eyed. You just look at him, smirked and nod your head sideways a little.

The sound of something hitting the ground is heard, and you walk over to the beast. Yup it's dead all right.

"Okay, then. Now that that's done, Rami and I can go home. So! It was very nice to meet you, Mr. Eucliffe, Lector. But we should get going to pick up OUR 50,000 jewel. Good day!" You smile at the pair and turn on your heel.

As you leave Sting and Lector with their jaws hitting the floor and their eyes bulging out of their heads, you quickly mutter a spell to make a sword out of moon energy. You grab it out of the air, and chop the head of off the beast you just killed.

You then mutter another spell to levitate the head in the air for the walk back to the client's home.

"So, Rami. Are you ready for an all out feast when we get home?" You look at the flying exceed next to you and smile.

"You bet!"

This job wasn't pleasant, but at least it payed well.