Chapter Five-Meeting Commander Trajan

I was still in my bow when the King spoke, “Who is this?”

            I looked up, to find his gaze on Christie. My jaw tightened, “Christie,” I said through clenched teeth, “Is my best friend, she is like a sister to me.”

            The King nodded, frowning he asked, “Why is she here? She is obviously a dweller of the Earth Domain.”

            I clenched my fists, and was about to reply when Caesar spoke up, “Iron head found the Prince. Christie was with the Prince at the time and she was in danger. The Prince insisted that she come with us.”

            The King cocked his head, “She could be good for the Brothel.”

            That was it, “No!” I yelled, “I will not take the stupid thrown if you put her in a…Brothel” I chocked out the word, disgusted. “She looks enough like me, she can pass off as my twin!”

            The King was silent for a moment, “That is no way to speak to a King. Men have been killed for far less. I will grant you the request, but this is your only warning, do not step out of line again in my presence.”

            I nodded, “Thank you, my King.” The words burned my throat.

            Caesar suddenly cleared his throat, “I am all for the idea of Christie disgusing herself as the Prince’s twin. But everyone of Pallasathea blood has the burned crest on their right arm.”

            “Yes” the King replied, taking out a long metal thing from behind his desk. I stared in horror as he placed it in the fire. For the end was in the shape of the phoenix crest. “Your…your not going to burn it into her arm, are you?” I asked.

            The King glanced at me, “It’s that or the Brothel.”

            I opened my mouth to protest, but Christie placed a hand on my shoulder, “It’s ok Zeus. I rather take this offer than the other one.”      

            I clenched my jaw but nodded. Christie thrust out her right hand and grabbed mine with her left. The King gave her an evil, twisted smile before taking her wrist and placing the red hot phoenix onto it.

            Immediately Christie’s hand tightened on mine. For I second I thought she could deal with the pain. But that hope was washed away when tears sprang into her eyes. Her face turned to one of pure agony. I ground my teeth, it killed me to see her in so much pain. She let out a cold blooded scream.

            The King released her wrist, taking the phoenix off of it. It seemed like all her energy suddenly left her as she collapsed into my arms. I glared at the King. “You’re a sick monster, you know that!”

            The King grinned at me, I was about to snap at him again when there was a knock on the door. The King shot me a warning glare before calling out in an authoritive tone “Enter.”

            I picked Christie up bridal style and began to rock her gently back and forth. “You requested my presence, my King” I voice called out.

            I ignored it and consentrated on Christie, who was whimpering while holding her arm to her chest. “It’s ok, Christie it’s all over. When we get out of here we’ll put your hand in some cold water. I am so, so sorry you had to go through that.” I swallowed a lump in my throat. “It’s all my fault, you shouldn’t have to go through stuff like that-”

            I stopped talking when I heard the King’s voice, “-this is the Prince and his twin. You are to train the Prince; this is the favor I am asking you. You are to train the Prince to be a solider and I also want you to train him to be the proper Prince.”

            I turned around to see who was going to be my mentor. I gasped, she had golden locks that were wavy, but mostly covered by a hood, she also had these gorgeous hazel eyes that hypnotized me. She wore a leather jacket with a metal shoulder guard to protect her arm, a pair of tight fitting black jeans, and combat boots.

            I blinked, she was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. Christie looked up at me her eyes swollen red, tear streaks on her cheeks. It broke me to see her in this state. “Zeus,” she whispered, “I want to go to bed.”

            I nodded and looked at the King, “Can I bring her to a bed?”

            The King nodded, and turned to face Caesar, “Show the Prince to his chambers, put the Princess in the chambers next to his. I have some business to Lieutenant Trajan.”

            The girl cleared her throat, “Sorry to contradict you, my King. But I was just promoted to Commander.”

            I felt my mouth dry up, her voice was like the most beautiful bells in the world. Caesar nodded and motioned for me to follow him. As I was going past Commander Trajan she curtsied. I stopped, “I’d bow” I smiled, “But I have my hands full.”

            Commander Trajan looked at me in wonder, she looked like she wanted to say something, but thought better of it. She just nodded. I frowned and walked by her, out the door.

            I couldn’t help but think of her as I brought Christie to her ‘chambers’.