Princess

I stood at the opening of the casket for my boyfriend, Michael. I stared at his face, reaching forward to gently touch his cheek one last time. I ran the back of my hand down his face, just as he use to do to me.

I felt tears start to well again. A hand touched the small of my back. I looked behind me to see Cody, Michael's best friend. He gave me a forced half smile before looking at his friend. His eyes resembled mine in redness. I looked forward as well. The service was about to start. Cody led me to our seats, his hand staying on the small of my back. We sat down together and faced forward, ready to say goodbye to someone who had forever changed our lives.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Days later, I was sitting at the apartment I had shared with Michael. I was sitting in sweat pants and one of Michael's t-shirts. I heard a knock on the door and it opened. Cody walked in.

"Hey, Alexis. How are you holding up?" He asked, pulling me into a hug. I shrugged. He let me go and walked in, shutting the door. He was wearing his weird turquoise pants, gray shirt, and black jacket. His necklace hung from his neck, over his shirt. "Get dressed. We're going to get some lunch." He commanded. I looked at him oddly.

I had no idea how he could act so normally after his best friend had been killed. I had been a complete, sobbing, disgusting mess for the past two weeks. Cody had been a bit of a wreck the first few days until after the funeral. Now, here he stood before me, perfectly normal.

"Alexis. Now. Go get dressed, beautiful. You don't need to cry anymore. He's better now." Cody got my attention. He put his hand on my cheek and wiped tears I didn't know had fallen away.

"I don't wanna go back there." I said, referring to mine and Michael's room. Cody nodded.

"I'll be back." He said softly before walking back the hallway. I sat back down on the couch. Cody walked out, holding my turquoise dress that matched his weird pants. I accepted it and went to the bathroom where I changed, brushed my hair and teeth, and put on a layer of waterproof mascara.

"Happy, Carson?" I asked him when I walked back out to the living room. He smiled and nodded.

"Marvelous, darling. Marvelous." He said in a posh British accent. I shook my head and grabbed my black purse before following him out the door.

We went to a diner down the street, Cody taking care of me as if I was a child most of the time.

"So, princess, when are you going back to work?" He asked me. I scoffed.

"Never." I mumbled before putting my straw in my mouth and chewing on it. It was a habit of mine Michael always found adorable. I felt my throat constrict as I thought about him.

"I was thinking, next week, I come out to your apartment and help you move out." Cody suggested.

"I'm not moving." I stated bluntly, glaring at him.

"I want you to come stay with me. I think it'd be best for the both of us. Plus, my roommate just moved out. I need a new roommate and so do you." He explained. I sighed.

"I don't think I could stay in there, honestly. I haven't been back in my bedroom since..." My voice trailed off. Cody nodded.

"I understand." He said softly. The waitress came over and set down the check. Cody shot her his dazzling smile, thanking her. He paid after reminding me that it was his treat. I sighed and continued chewing on my straw.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The next week, Cody knocked on my door again. I groaned.