Chapter 13: I'm Sorry

Start from the beginning

"What are you saying?!" I stood up and wiped hard at my eyes, taking back my hand from my mother. "That I'm the problem! Because this wasn't my fault! I didn't make this happen, Dad!"

"Sit down," He wearily replied. "I'm just saying that we need to tread carefully now. This will be infamous in our pack-we have no choice now but to put the wedding first and show good faces."

I sat down and shut up. Of course he was right, as always. I hated that about my dad. He was right in the cruelest way. Gossip spread faster than wildfire in our clan, and word traveled faster when it dealt with Alphas amongst all wolves. A popping of luggage wheels as they skidded past made me jump.

April Theodore, in all her ethereal beauty, gave us a hollow look. "Thank you for your hospitality and good luck in this war."

She walked away with hers and the kid's bags, Chris not far behind her.

"I'm sorry for the noise," He didn't look at any of us. He didn't say goodbye to his wife or offer to help her but stayed standing near us and watched her leave with us. We all stared at the slammed door for a long moment before my mom did her routine.

"Drinks?" She instantly stood up and bustled around the kitchen. Chris took her seat. Neither of us looked at each other.

"None for me," My father stood up. My head swiveled to see his face, which looked upset. I knew he was sad things had to go this way but I suspected he was also sad his only daughter had a married, older mate and it happened during war.

"Before you go, Joseph, let me assure you my clan's agreement with yours will continue. We never back down from our word," Chris looked at him. My father nodded and walked upstairs to his room. I sighed.

"I'll take a beer, Mom," I asked. Hannah stood up.

"It's too late for me and the baby," she smiled at Tony. "Good night."

We each murmured out goodnights, well my mom actually sang hers, but otherwise we were quiet about her leaving. Tony gave a hard look at me and Chris while my mom handed us each a drink before kissing us all, even Chris, goodnight and following Hannah and my dad upstairs.

"And then there were three," I said, holding my drink up. I just wanted to sleep, yet I couldn't. I would just lie in bed and cry. Chris clinked bottles with me and we both took a sip, still refusing to actually acknowledge each other. Tony finished his beer in one drink, bad choice. He was an easy drunkard. I gave a cautious look to Tony and sat back, not saying a word. He got up for another drink, but thankfully he didn't down this one.

Tony gave us both a long stare, to the point of making me feel really uncomfortable. I'm sure Chris felt the same way. I took another sip and looked down, realizing this was finally it. On the same night we both ended up in failed relationships because we both did something stupid a few years past, and hurt people we grew to love. I guess nature really picked out her best when I found my mate. I wasn't married to Zack but I felt a deep commitment to him.

"You were always getting into trouble," Tony points at me. He leans on the window opposite of us, behind the chair he'd just vacated. His eyes squinted and he sounded like a thirteen year old who drinks for the first time. I was slightly embarrassed. "You somehow always end up in trouble and I clean up the mess. My wedding is now a cover for your mistake. Good job, Ritz."

My eyes water but I won't reply. His words were harsh but it was true. Even though he always shouted at me, somehow Tony was always the one to get the brunt of my karma for the trouble I make. When I failed two courses in high school, I was supposed to rake the fall leaves for a whole month but I got really sick, so Tony took care of it. Or when I came home late from a party with Debbie and Mickey, Tony was the one who covered because I was already grounded from when my parents found out I skipped third period every day. Now something I can't control and the best day of Tony's life will be a little less magical because people will be talking about me instead of his new family.

"It's fine though," Tony set his bottle on the table. "I always knew something would happen."

He stalked off, half drunk to his room with Hannah. An uncomfortable silence settled around us. I couldn't look at Chris even though I wanted to. I wanted to be comforted by him and to let go of all our guilt and stupidity. His hand lays on the table and something instinctual makes me put mine over his. Out of the corner of my eye I see he corner of his mouth come up. I don't feel sick or even sad or guilty about this moment. Just right. The thought of Zack only comes up with the pang of pain in that I made a mistake against Chris. And April only comes to mind when I feel happy because after losing so much, I get to win this moment. We would have felt strange about it twelve hours before, but in that moment we felt right. I know he did because I did.

He doesn't look at me but says, "I couldn't even think of a reason to give her to stay. All I did was apologize."

"My night went like yours," I say, feeling his fingers curl around mine.

"I know you went to see him," he says, a bitter snap in his voice, "but I don't blame you. I held onto her, too."

Something hitches in my throat. I take another sip, then set my drink down for the last time that night. "He's the reason why I couldn't mate. I couldn't leave him behind. I'm sorry about this whole mess."

I feel his eyes on me, "Me too."

A/N: Long time, no see! Well, I'll be speeding up the writing process now that I plan on entering the Watty's! Expect more chapters today and this week, thanks for sticking with me guys, you're the best :)