Chapter 15. Green Eyed

It would have been nice to stay with Uno like that for a little while longer. To have our body pressed into one another. However, the elevator had other ideas. The lights eventually flickered open. Either the generator of the building was activated, or power has returned. I blinked rapidly, trying to adjust my eyes with the glare. Coming from a pitch dark elevator, it was peculiar to suddenly see again.

Uno broke the embrace with a confused look on her face. She glanced quizzically around us, from the walls, to the ceiling, until her gaze landed on me. "Where are we, Riri?" were the first words she spoke.

I swallowed. The switch came so sudden that I wasn't given time to prepare my feelings. "We're inside the elevator of Doctor Sanders office, Blaze. I went to get something for Uno, and she followed me so she could let me borrow her umbrella. The power went out a minute ago because of the rain."

The puzzlement didn't leave her face. "Then why was she hugging you?" she inquired. The bafflement turned to a frown.

"I got scared because the elevator stopped. I clutched to Uno when I panicked." I took a deep breath. I was only sticking to the truth. Why did I have to be this guilty?

"Okay," she said. "Are you alright then? You're pale."

I avoided her eyes. "Yeah. The blackout just surprised me. It's nothing really." Our conversation was cut short when the elevator activated and started moving down. I sighed in relief.

The smug staff in the lobby was all smiles when he saw who I was with. Keep your jaw off the floor Mister, I thought. "Have a safe trip," he said giddily. "You too Riri." I glowered at him when we passed, which he didn't seem to notice while he was busy drooling after Blaze's back.

The rain was still pouring hard outside. The guard handed a black umbrella to us, which I suspected was the one that Uno brought from earlier. My stomach churned at the thought of being closer to her. It was something I wouldn't get used to. Blaze opened the umbrella and pulled me to her side protectively, reminding me of who I was currently with.

"Eyes on me tiger," she said, the corner of her mouth pulling upward. I missed that contagious smile. As one could imagine, Uno wasn't big on showing any other emotions, except for what she was comfortable with. It meant little to no smiling when I was with her. Blaze's smile in the meantime could make a rainy day like this bearable. "Ready?" she asked, taking one step forward. "I think we'll still get drenched."

I shrugged. "It will dry off."

We ran out of the building. Forget the van, the Hummer was parked across the street. The umbrella turned inside out while we were making a dash for it. Instead of fixing it, Blaze pulled me closer to her, as if that would shield me from the rain. We laughed hysterically when we got inside the Hummer. There was nothing funny about it, except for having our wet hair stuck to our mouth and cheek.

"You look like a wet bunny," she said in between laughter.

"And you look like a drowning koala," I retorted. "Close the door. We're still getting wet because of the wind."

She closed the umbrella quickly before tossing it on the back seat. Right after, she shut the door of the Hummer. "I hope we don't catch a cold." She shivered as she started the vehicle.

"I'll make you warm milk when we get home," I promised. The backpack I brought for the trip was as wet as our hair. I tossed it at the back, together with the umbrella. Hopefully the books I've borrowed for Uno was dry inside. We began to move away from the building as Blaze stepped on the gas.

"Has it been days?" she said, referring to her absence. If it was me in her situation, I would have always wondered what day it was and what I have missed. It made me think of the movie I've watched with mom and Carter. The main character woke up and found out thousands of years have passed. That would be terrible.