Chapter 9. Crack

Chapter 9. Crack

Uno would look at me from time to time while we were eating breakfast. I ignored her for the most part, remembering how she teased me about eating like a horse on our very first meeting after mom's funeral. There were many things I wished to ask her. If I were to play my game, I could say that so far, she'd make the habit of either deflecting my questions, or resorting to irrational answers. Neither would get me what I wanted.

"Have you checked the other rooms?" she asked after taking her last bite.

It took a moment to answer her. I couldn't tell if it was a trick question or an innocent one. "Some of them." There were unused guest rooms and a gym. Nothing that interested me. "Why?"

"I take it you haven't seen my dressing room."

"You have one?" I asked in jest. "I thought you only wear the same clothes, black."

"That's the only color that suits me," she said. Uno stood up, took her plate to the sink. "Meet me at the east side of the house after eating. We'll pick your clothes for tonight."

I wolfed down the food and did the dishes quickly. I didn't usually get excited over attending parties or meeting famous people. Mom wouldn't even let me accompany her in events, and I was sure she went to a lot for her job. However, I did love clothes. I hummed with anticipation at the thought of seeing a dressing room. Granted that Uno almost always wore black. It was still exciting.

Uno's stone and glass house was a big W-shaped building. In the middle was the living room and kitchen. Then, there were the left and right corridors. I've only stayed in the left side because that was where the rooms were. The right side was a big mystery. I haven't gone there to clean once. There were enough skeletons to uncover as it was. I didn't want to find out more.

"What's taking you so long?" Uno asked as she met me in the living room. "Is there a problem?"

I wiped my hands at the back of my jeans. "Nope. I washed the dishes first."

"Okay." She tilted her head to the right. "Let's go. It's the first door."

The right part of the house looked uncannily like the left. She opened the door for me and stepped aside so I could go first. "It's like a huge walk-in closet," I murmured under my breath. I glanced reluctantly at Uno, asking for silent permission. She pushed me playfully until my foot was inside the boundary of the room. The open cabinets were almost as high as the ceiling. "How do you even reach that?" I said as I glanced at the top drawers. Uno pointed to a corner where a step ladder was situated.

The room was arranged meticulously. One side was solely for hung clothes. Even that was divided into different colors in the cabinet. I was wrong with the black statement from before. Her clothes rivaled that of a small store. I went further inside the room to see better. Most of the cabinets weren't equipped with doors, but some drawers were made with glass so you could see the contents.

The shelves were illuminated by LED lights, giving it a clean, modern appeal. I noticed that the right part of the room was dedicated for the shoes. Though Uno was mostly barefoot inside the house, there was an assortment of shoes to match every occasion. I went beside the table in the middle, looking at the LED lights that surrounded the frame. "This is where you prepare for an event?"

"Sometimes. Sometimes in my bathroom if I'm not feeling it," she said. "Sometimes in my car if I'm running out of time. And if I'm really lazy, I go to the studio and let the staff do their job. I can't really say because each shoot, event, or party demands something different." Uno went in and trailed her hands on the shelves. "Like you said, I wear black anyway. Manager Chance was the one who insisted on getting all these clothes. I don't use it."