Part 1.6

(Ziva) "Parsons." Tony whispered. His cold eyes stared back at me from Abby's screen, burrowing into my soul, grabbing at my family. "He thought we'd lift prints, so he took mine." He was obviously a novice in the field. Police-issued gun? Of course we'd check the registry. Gibbs threw his hand down suddenly upon the table. "I told you, now go get him." He said as calmly as he could, trying to control his rage before storming out of the lab. Tony shook himself out of deep thought. "McGee, update that cell fix." He started tracing again. "No problem Tony, but I think I'm gonna stay here with Abby. She's a little.." He motioned with his eyes to her, retreated back to her corner. "And Gibbs is busy- just bring him in. He's downtown still, hasn't moved." I nodded, and we hurried out the door.

I sat in the driver's seat this time, knowing if I remained idle on the passenger side I'd get caught up in Tony again. My mother was dead, my entire family was dead- I could not be distracted. Tony didn't seem to mind, except for sharp turns. We sandwiched up against each other again, but he let himself slide back across the seat again. I pulled into an alleyway, trying to locate Parsons. Tony was alert, scanning the sidewalks for him. "I don't see him." I said, still looking. Tony nodded, squinting at something far away. "What is it?" I asked. He leaned farther towards the windshield. "Tape. Something's taped off down there." I was already out the door. "Ziva, wait a minute-"

"He could have killed someone else, Tony! Hurry up!" I strode as quickly yet nonchalantly as I could amid tourists and spectators. A flash of a badge and I was standing over a bloodied piece of paper. Tony rushed up behind me as I bent to pick it up. "Hey, miss!" An officer called, jogging over to us. "You can't touch that. It's part of a crime scene-"

"Ziva David." I read the bloodwritten scrawl marking the paper. The officer nodded. "I'm Ziva David." He stared at us, mystified. "Well, I'm sorry, but it's part of a Metro investigation-"

"She made it clear the letter is hers." Tony stepped towards the officer, who backed away a little. "I'll have to notify my boss-"

"My boss'll take care of it. Leroy Jethro Gibbs. He'll tell Fornell." Tony assured him. The officer was shocked at the fact that Tony knew Agent Fornell's name, let alone had the audacity to use it. I smiled a little. That was Tony, always putting on a show. He turned to me, grave with anticipation. "So where's Parsons?" He asked, still searching the street. "And why is this taped off if there's nothing but a letter?" I rubbed my fingertips along the folded edge of the letter, rising and falling with the occasional droplet of somebody's blood. The back of it was covered in red, as if it had been soaked in it. I looked down at the pavement. "That's why, Tony. Your shoes." They were half-submerged in a pool of blood. It was a small pond in the middle of the street, guarded by yellow tape. Tony and I stood at the center, surrounded by the spill. "It's a warning." He said. "There will be bloodshed soon if-"

"If what?" I asked, although I knew he wouldn't know. "I'd start by reading that letter." He took my hand, gripped it just a little too strongly, steered me towards the car.

My fingers were shaking as I tore carefully at the paper with a gloved hand. Tony's hand was resting lightly on my shoulder, his chin tucked next to my ear. I knew this letter may contain the answers to everything we'd been looking to find, but with that came the truth- a truth that I knew was cold and brutally honest. Parsons had only gone after Gibbs to disguise his identity as the David killer. This letter was an omen he was done hiding.

The pressure was lifted off my shoulder and Tony's hand reappeared cupped over mine. I looked back at him, made sure I was reading into this correctly; that he was right there with me. His eyes said it all. I took a deep breath, ripped through the last sealant of blood to find a mess of English-Hebrew calligraphy.

Dearest Ziva,

I see you found my reflecting pond. Yes, that is what I see when I look at myself- blood. It is what you should see as well, seeing as everything has ended in such matter for yourself. When Ilan recruited me as his Government accomplice, I was overjoyed to start dilapidating the great David empire. Your family has finagled its way around every corner of the law. How has that managed to slip by your partner agency, NCIS? Oh that's right- Leroy Jethro Gibbs has done the same for years. Just because everyone else has overlooked this by focusing on what your team has accomplished doesn't mean I will follow them. Ilan was never one to flow with the crowd anyways, now was he? By becoming Director of Mossad, I can end such monarchy and start a way of law that practices only by the law. Isn't that fair? Only one problem: you'll be fighting me the whole way. So naturally, I'm going to kill you, and any other witnesses. Don't even think about handing this to the police, for it'll already be gone with you. Watch out, David. At lo levad.

Parsons

"You are not alone." Tony whispered. His eyes widened in shock. "ZIVA GET DOWN!" He threw himself over me just as the gunfire ripped through the windshield.