Chapter 2

A/N: Banner By @fatimaa

Death

That one word flowed through my mind as I was engulfed in a never ending world of darkness. There was no pain, no heartbeat, no sound. All there was, was the emptiness that killed me inside.

My mothers voice as she took her last breath haunted me in this dark world. The dead, faded look in her eyes flashed over and over in my mind, leaving me more empty than ever.

My body seemed to float throughout nothing. Like I was flying in a world that doesn't exist.. Nothing could take me away, I was just there alone in between life and death.

I was sure I had died, but fate had more planned for me. I may not be dead but I know that I will never be completely alive after watching my mom die. She died peacefully, and I could be blessed by that, but I know I could've saved her.

The necklace. The hard yet smooth interior didn't brush against my neck. I felt lost without it, remembering the promise. It had to be there, but I couldn't feel anything. I was floating uselessly.

Nothing could be heard, not even my heart. The silence made my ears ring. I wanted so desperately to hear something. Something that told me where to go, to escape this darkness. But, nothing came. I was completely alone.

It felt as if years passed. slow, agonizing, years. Each minute, the numbness turned into pain, like my body was engulfed in flames that weren't there. My body burned and ached, but I couldn't stop it. In a way, this pain was better than the empty feeling of never knowing where I'll end up next. It reminded me that there was a real world behind this darkness.

Agonizingly slow, the pain grasped where my heart should be. I felt the darkness shift, but I still didn't see light. I didn't know what to do as the pain intensified. There was no use in screaming, no one would hear me no matter how loud I cried. So, I let the pain devour me.

There were no words to describe this feeling. So much worse than pain. It was so much like being burned alive, but worse. I felt as if I couldn't breathe, like the fire had burned away my lungs. There was no escape from this, I didn't have the strength to fight.

Suddenly there was a sound. A light, rhythmic, thump that filled the empty space. A slight flutter erupted in between each thump, like a bird's wings.

Something cold brushed against my collar bone. Just as light as a feather. It trailed slowly from my collar bone to my neck, leaving a tingling path in its place. It made the thumping faster the further it trailed up my neck and back to my collar bone.

A gush of wind blew gently across my face. The thumping paused for a moment and began thumping even faster, like a hummingbird's wings. I felt this world shift once again. It was like the ground had moved, causing the wind to change its direction as well. Everything changed.

A soft beam of light suddenly flashed though the darkness. The thumping suddenly became completely silent. The wind calmed and then disappeared. My limp, numb, body shifted.

A face, bright and beautiful, appeared before me. Pink, plump lips were pursed, as if in thought. Familiar hazel eyes stared into mine. A spark ran through my body as I realized who this was.

"M-mom"

I was surprised I could even speak. My voice was dry and that one word caused a pain in my heart. Her face, her eyes, all of her seemed familiar, yet different. She was a brighter woman than the one I've lived with my whole life. I couldn't describe the expression on her face.

One of her slender fingers brushed across my lips, hushing me. "It's not your time to speak,"she said gently.

My eyes trialed down to her hand. Her finger left my lips and cupped the side of my face. Her head tilted to the side, hazel eyes stared into mine in a daze. She brushed her thumb across my temple, moving away strands of hair as she did.