Valid Chapter 2

Author's Note: This is the second installment of Valid. Please don't hesitate to comment on how I can improve the story. More Romance? More action? Tell me! and dont forget that if like it Vote! Vote! Vote! thanks, - DE

Chapter 2

I slapped my school bag onto my bed and didn't bother to open it. I brushed my red auburn hair to the side and turned the lamp on so that I could shut the door. I stretched on the edge of my bed and yawned away the stresses of the day. Lillia already paid for today. I had to keep reminding myself that before I forgot and did anything else stupid. But Uggh! She made me so angry and brought out the ugly side. Not that I didn't like to sometimes show it.

It was late and even in my closed off room I could tell. The stuffy air finally forced me to open my door for fresh air. I turned off my lamp and lay on my side on my bed. My thoughts turned to tomorrow. What would I do about Hans? Would I have to go through the seduction thing every time he tried to make me ditch? That made me gag a little. This couldn't go on. I would have to just face up to him and tell him straight out. I remember doing that only once and that was in third grade. His friends and he told me off after school that day and I decided against ever doing it again for the sake of my well-being. But I would risk that I guess just for the sake of being me. I lay in bed still staring at the ceiling for moments and then closing my eyes to think at random intervals. My decision had become conclusive. I knew he wouldn't hurt me if he had the chance; He was evil but not the kind to totally beat up a girl.

I stopped looking up at the ceiling for a while and then gradually stopped looking all together. My eyes were closed now but my mind was still consciously active. That all began to slip away after ten minutes. Hard as I tried, I couldn't hang onto reality and I began to slip into slumber and its chamber of dreams.

In my dream the air was crisp but at the same time humid. The air was also thick with the scent of horse stables and wood. I guess you could just say it was the smell of country dirt. The smells felt so real that I wasn't even in tune with my surroundings for a moment. Then they came to me. It was a sun lit field. A field that was all grass and sun; nothing else. You could forget your cares here. That's just what I did. I let the sun fry my delicate skin as I basked in its heat and the soft unitchy grass. The ground felt like a blanket of green. My eyes drooped in my dream, I felt at such peace here and I didn't know why. It was probably the first time where I dreamed that I was falling asleep, because after ten seconds I closed my eyes, I was asleep... in a dream.

I awoke afraid that I wouldn't awake in the sunlit grass once again. I sat up in bed and blinked my eyes for a moment in the blackness. My mom had turned out the hall light. I stumbled around into the kitchen and turned a few lights on on the way. I took a glance at the clock above the oven. It was 4:56am. No use going back to sleep now that I was wide awake and I needed to get up at 5:30 anyway. I thought back to my field in the dream.

The smell was the most mesmerizing. It smelt like hard work and home. I thought about the smell because the more I thought about it, the more I recognized the scent from somewhere. Where had I smelt a smell like that before? The thought clicked in my head and I ran to the counter where my mom's photo album lay. It was currently open to a picture of me and mom when I was "the cutest little six-year-old ever." I flipped to the back where mom kept all the older, forgotten photos. The summer of my eighth year on earth my mom had packed us up and took us to America to visit Auntie. I looked at a picture of my Auntie and my mom hugging and smiling in front of Aunties property. The background. The background was shockingly similar to what I had conjured in my dream. The green grass lay out behind them and I couldn't be happier that a place like that in my dream actually existed.

That's where I wanted to be; Aunties house. Auntie was crazy, fun, energetic and never scolded- always reasoned, liked us, liked everybody, liked the earth, liked being called Sam. She had a husband once. His name was Shane, but I never knew anything else about him other than his name. I liked calling her Sam but mom always forced me to call her Auntie like a child should call their aunt. I would choose her hug over my mother's. It sounds terrible but I could always feel warmth in every one of them.