I Will Someday

I Will Someday

Liza dropped me off at home at seven-thirty. While balancing the bags in my arm, I causally walked along the icy driveway to the door. Shifting the bags in my tiny arms, I managed to get the door open. Blair sat on the couch with her boyfriend, Seth. Blair was resting against his shoulder; by the looks of it, they were having an important conversation. Blair's face was expressionless as she spoke, and Seth seemed to frozen, his mouth pressed into a straight line. I gently kicked the front door shut, and walked into the hallway, afraid to disturb the couple. Dropping the bags on the floor beside my bed, I decided I would wrap everything tomorrow night; right after everyone went to bed.

My favourite book sat on my night table, just asking to be read again. Giving in, I grabbed it and flopped on to my bed, turning to the page I last left off on. However, I couldn't read it; at that, particular moment I found the characters utterly stupid from not realizing the murder was the tiny redheaded girl. I also found it hard to concentrate, to much was going on. I wondered what Blair and Seth were talking about, and prayed they weren't breaking up. I actually like Seth, he was calm, smart and good with Blair. They evened out each other’s personalities.

Curiosity got the best of me; I walked back into the living room. Although, Blair seemed to be holding onto Seth even harder then before. His face was buried in her light hair, and he seemed to be whispering to her.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, awkwardly hovering in the doorway. Blair slowly lifted her weary head to meet my eyes.

"Yeah, we're fine," her voice seemed to be strained as she whispered the words.

"I have to go," Seth sighed as his eyes met the clock. He gently lifted Blair off him and kissed her head. I found the gesture strange; normally Blair would wrestle him back onto the couch. Though I figured, he was just afraid to hurt her leg.

"Bye," Blair whispered as he pulled away. Once he left, Blair flicked the TV on and sat silently. Moving slowly, I sat down beside her and pulled her into a gently hug, sensing something was wrong.

"I won't ask what's wrong, I'm just going to trust you will someday tell me," I whispered as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"I will some day."

We watched old cartoons until midnight, then Blair claimed she felt weary and we both decided it was time to sleep. I fell onto the bed and felt the familiar sting of loneliness, even with my cousin laying on the opposite side of the room. I Let my body take over, and let myself fall into a dreamless sleep.

I awoke the next morning to a reached sound coming from the bathroom. Jumping out of bed, I ran toward the horrible noise. My Aunt was hovering over a very pale Blair. Blair sat in front of the toilet; I looked away while she heaved another burst of vomit into the toilet. My knees went weak and I lowered myself to the floor.

"Sammy?" Jack poked his head out of his room. "What's going on?"

"Blair isn't feeling very well," I whispered. I crawled over to him and ushered him back into bed.

"Will she be okay?" he asked, while I tucked his tiny body back into his bed.

"Yes, she probably just ate too much candy." I said. He giggled as I poked his side.

"Go back to sleep, I'll wake you up when I make breakfast."

The door gently closed behind me. In the bathroom Blair was now slumped up against the bathtub with her eyes squeezed shut. My aunt still hovered over her, not sure what to do.

"I have something to tell you," Blair whispered in a raspy voice, "I don't know if you'll take it very well."

"Is it good or bad?" the question poured out of my mouth without warning. I already knew the answer.

"Either depends how you look at it."

"Just tell us, it can't be that bad," Aunty cooed in her ear.

"I- I'm pregnant."