Chapter thirty-one

We returned to our apartment, made some hot cocoa, and found ourselves back on our favorite spot out on the balcony.

  The Society was covered in a fine blanket of snow that seemed to make all the lights twinkle like stars. I found my head in the crook of Cyrus’s arm where he wrapped it around me to warm me.

  Once my cocoa was finished, I closed my eyes.

  Not to sleep, but to relish in the moments I had.

  Something inside me knew that such serenity would not last for long. I knew something was coming. Something bad; something dark; but despite it all, I ignored it.

  I didn’t say a word of it to Cyrus, whose breathing added to the beautiful sounds that filled my ears.

  The steady hum of pedaling bicyclists. The ring-ling of their bells.

  I listened until the hum died down, and everything was quiet.

  Even though my eyes were closed, I could hear as the Society powered down for the night. Lights turned off; people retired to their abodes.

  Was there a curfew in the Society?

  It seemed likely.

  When I opened my eyes, the streets were black, and the buildings were dark. I hurried and clicked off our porch light, fearing my instinct could be right.

  I sat back down in Cyrus’s arms again.

  The worst is yet to come. My brain told me.

  My brain said one thing, but my body said another. My eyes closed once more, I breathed in the sweet air, and swore to myself that I would never ever forget moments like these.