Chapter 41 - Adelaide

Start from the beginning

Victoria walked down the stairs and joined the dancing crowd. Adelaide wanted a moment to compose herself. Another minute before the burning stares were on her. Ever since it revealed that Adelaide was married to the infamous criminal Erebus, she could feel people's judging glares. Sure they praised her for stopping Dominic, but Adelaide knew the question on everyone's lips: did she know all along?

"Adelaide?" a familiar voice said.

Kiyan wore a black waistcoat suit with a gold pocket watch attached to his lapel. His hair had been combed to perfection – Adelaide hated it. She wanted it to be tousled and wild again. But if she ran her fingers through his hair, she would end up kissing him. And if kissed him, she wouldn't stop there.

"I just need a moment to compose myself".

"Why? You look absolutely stunning" he said.

Adelaide cleared her throat and tried to hide the fact she was blushing.

"You should see the view" Adelaide said. "The view...from my window. You can see the whole city".

Adelaide and Kiyan walked across the room to the balcony.

"You're really brave. No one can take that away from you" Adelaide said. "I know Victoria said she would let you train to become an AIA agent, and you'd have to start from the bottom like everyone else, but the next time the Falcons are on an important mission, don't be surprised if you find yourself tagging along".

"And risk Victoria's wrath?" Kiyan said raising an eyebrow.

"I can handle Victoria" Adelaide snorted.

"Did she tell you to stop pestering her about me?"

"Have I ever done as I was told?" Adelaide said.

Kiyan shook his head and laughed. "You really want me to be an honorary Falcon? I don't know if I have what it takes..."

"I won't take no for an answer" Adelaide interrupted.

"Well if I don't have any choice, I guess I could tag along" Kiyan said and then his eyes lit up. "This is my favourite song"

Kiyan then took Adelaide's hand and fled downstairs into the ballroom. Adelaide's head spun and she nearly lost her footing.

"You know Candace?" Adelaide said.

"Just because I lived apart from society doesn't mean I'm not allowed to know good music"

Adelaide wouldn't exactly call this music "good". Candace Merriweather bemoaned her latest heartbreak. Her screeching voice clashed with the upbeat saxophones. She wore a red dress that was slit up one leg and clung to her hips. Of course Kiyan liked her.

"Oh I don't know Kiyan. I don't really dance" Adelaide shrugged.

"I won't take no for an answer" he said.

Adelaide rolled her eyes, but let him guide her onto the dance floor. The truth was Adelaide could not dance at all. When she was being taught how to dance by her tutor she was forever falling over or stepping on his toes. It was Victoria that was the dancer. If Adelaide was the baby bird who just couldn't take flight, Victoria was the bluebird that flew high and gracefully. The last time Adelaide had danced was at her wedding.

Kiyan wasn't a very good dancer either. He just laughed when Adelaide stepped on his toes or bumped into someone. They ended up on the side of the dancefloor just talking.

The conversation ranged from music to literature and finally to Concordia.

"Concordia is exactly the way they describe in books" Kiyan said.

"How do they describe it?" Adelaide asked.

"Like heaven" Kiyan said.

Adelaide felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to find Rosaline standing with a huge grin on her face. Rosaline had cut off her bunches and now had short curls that made her look like a socialite.

"The queen wants to speak with us" she said.

"The queen?" Adelaide exclaimed.

Adelaide pushed through the crowd and followed Rosaline to the top of the room where the Falcons were already taking to the stage. Queen Evangeline stepped forward. Her dress was donned with a thousand jewels. It would've looked tacky on most people but Queen Evangeline moved with the grace of an angel. The jewels made her look like a galaxy of stars. Adelaide didn't just feel compelled to bow. She wanted to.

"It is my honour to present the brave warriors who took down our country's biggest threat". Queen Evangeline said.

The audience cheered and clapped.

"Their courage will not go unnoticed. My daughter, Princess Cynthia of Concordia, will present each agent with the medal of valour" the queen continued.

The audience gasped when Princess Cynthia came into view. She hardly made any public appearances. The last time Adelaide had seen the princess she was only a child. Now the princess was a full grown woman. Just like Adelaide.

Victoria was first to receive her medal. She bowed her head in respect as Princess Cynthia placed the medal over her head and let it fall. As they were all receiving their awards, Adelaide felt it was unjust that Kiyan wasn't standing here with them. In those last few moments, Kiyan fought alongside them. In fact, he was the reason Adelaide stood here tonight. The reason she was still living. Surely he deserved a medal as well?

But Kiyan didn't seem to mind. He stood in the front row, smiling. Most other people matched his pride, but there were a few who didn't look happy at all. They were a tiny rain cloud on the brightest day of the year. They were the little patch of fog on a starry night. They reminded Adelaide that even though they had won for now. People were safe and happy once again, evil seemed banished from the world. There was always more to replace it. There was always another battle. A never-ending battle against evil. Life could flip in a second. Only one thing was for certain. There was nothing the Warrior Queens could not handle.

What will be the next challenge for The Warrior Queens? Find out in the next book in The Warrior Queens series, The Fire That Ignited The Storm.

I'd like to thank everyone who read, voted and commented. It meant the world to me to know people were enjoying my story. I've finished the sequel and am uploading a chapter a week. I'm currently working on the third book. It will be a four book series.