Chapter 9 - Victoria

The screams that filled the air cut Victoria worse than the ice that rained on her. Victoria had studied these creatures for years. She knew ice wouldn't kill a Land Worm. But still, when she realised what Penelope was doing, she let herself believe that it might work, it might stall the worm. She'd hoped. Foolishly.

Penelope. That stupid kid would be lucky if she ever saw the light of day again. An idea occurred to Victoria. But she struggled to stand and the blood in her eyes blocked her view.

"Thunder! Someone throw a thunder spell at it" She spat.

"No only fire will work" Nicholas said.

Victoria furiously wiped the blood off her face, and was relieved to realise she wasn't blind.

"Thunder will distract it while we make the fire ring" She replied.

"Everybody's already one step ahead of you" he said.

Victoria stretched her hand out, as to signify Nicholas to help her up. He didn't.

"No one's going to help you, Victoria" Nicholas said, walking away.

She was fourteen again and Nicholas was her trainer who taught her self-sufficiency.

"Nicholas" Victoria tried to scream but it came out hoarse.

She hated needing anyone's help. As if she wasn't humiliated enough, Nicholas just walked away. Maybe he didn't care whether she lived or died. But there was someone who did.

"Rosaline?" Victoria shouted.

Victoria's anger was like magma rumbling underground, threatening to explode.

"She's out there with the rest of the fighters. Maybe you should join them" Nicholas called back to her.

Victoria erupted and grabbed her sword, which seemed heavier than this afternoon, and ran in Nicholas's direction. But it was the beast she slashed, causing blood to pour out of it.

"There's our warrior" Rosaline laughed.

Rosaline's smile was replaced with an expression of panic.

"Move out the way. They're performing the spell" She squealed, and grabbed Victoria's arm.

The flames licked her ankles. The heat smothered them. In the haste to escape, her sword fell from her fingers. She gasped as it clambered to the ground.

"I got it" Nicholas said, scooping it up.

When they got to a safe distance, Victoria thanked him. He waved it off. Said it was their duty to look out for each other.

Victoria had never seen such an inferno. The flames swirled across the sky in a both beautiful and terrifying dance. It created a tornado that engulfed the Giant worm leaving only ashes and the echo of the dying monster behind.

The car ride home was almost too painful to bear. They had lost dozens more than anticipated. And all because they didn't act fast enough. How many more would die before they got proper treatment? None of the Falcons were that badly injured; Penelope was worst with some serious looking cuts, but her life wasn't in danger. Even the Amitician Falcons were just a little shaken up. Were they Falcons now? Victoria guessed they were. All the Falcons were here and they were safe.

No. Adelaide wasn't here. Victoria scolded herself for forgetting Adelaide even for a second. The mission just wasn't the same without her.

"I'm really sorry I made a bad situation worse" Penelope said quietly.

"No, don't apologise" Rosaline said. "You were only trying to help. Victoria tell her it was brave".

Because apparently when you're responsible for dozens of deaths, your leader's approval will comfort you.